webuser_490210878

Plantation Shutters Configuration

Lisa S
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi! I'm hoping to get plantation shutters on the front two windows of my house. One window is approx 2240mm wide x 1300mm high, divided into 3 panels; the other is approx 1900mm wide x 1300mm high, divided into 2 panels.

I've had a few measure & quotes, and most recommend following the configuration of the windows ie. 3 shutters for one and 2 shutters for the other. However, I've had conflicting advice on whether 2 shutters would be possible on the 1900mm wide window, as each shutter would need to be approx 950mm wide. So, some have suggested getting 4 shutters on that window; however, then I'd need to do 6 shutters on the other window for them to look consistent, but I'm concerned this would possibly look too crowded.

Any thoughts/advice on what I should do would be much appreciated!

And would it be strange to do different things on each window - eg. two shutters/pane on one and one shutter/pane on the other?

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

Hi Lisa , I would prefer the 3 and 2 if possible as that would look better outside. If they can’t then I would do 3 and 4 . What material are they made from ? See the attached photo.

• bigreader
    4 years ago

Are they in the same room? Can we see an exterior view?

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

If possible I would have 3 plus 2 but otherwise have 3 plus 4 . What material are the shutters made from ? See the photo below

• Sue Tamblyn
    4 years ago

I would do 3 on each window for consistency

• Lisa S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks amonymousanne, I haven’t decided what material yet... 2 of the people who came to do quotes recommended pvc, and one recommended basswood. The smaller window is not far from a bathroom (ie. Not actually in a bathroom, but in a bedroom with an adjoining ensuite) so wondering if pvc would be better in case steam from the bathroom comes into the room... and we also have young kids so don’t want anything too fragile... though I’m also considering whether wood might be safer being a natural material, and whether it might be able to span the larger width being lighter than pvc
  • Lisa S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bigreader, they’re in different rooms. Here are some pics of the front of the house

• Anne Lyon
    4 years ago

Hi. I am also considering shutters for almost that same 3xwindow configuration. The suggestion was one single shutter hinged on the left on the left hand window. The middle window shutter also hinged on the left. The right window shutter hinged on the right. That’s probably what l will go with. Good luck.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

I thought that multiple shutters were hinged ie:, 3 shutters, 2 would be hinged to bi fold to one side while the single shutter to the other side?, This allows for the whole window to be opened out and not still have a single hinged panel in the middle of the window

• Lisa S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Siriuskey, I was hoping to be able to do that, as I like the idea of still being able to open the whole window, but was told that each panel was too wide and would therefore be too heavy on the hinges if two were joined together (unless I got rails put in the window for an extra $300-400)... anyone else with double-hinged or bifold shutters know if this is correct?

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

What difference in weight between timber and PVC, I thought PVC would be lighter. I would get another company to give you a quote and their opinion to see what they suggest.

• bigreader
    4 years ago

Iseekblinds has some good videos and explanations of fitting and materials etc.

Lisa S thanked bigreader
  • pascoeyvonne
    4 years ago

I agree with the suppliers and bigreader that the configurations should be three and two to keep consistent with the number of window frames.

• PRO
    More Than Curtains
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would definitely recommend three panels for the first window and two for the second in this instance. It will look far more consistent from the exterior of your home. We always match the configuration with the frames and mullions where possible for a neat finish. You can have each panel hinged individually, or have a bifold scenario... both would be acceptable solutions.

You may have been recommended choosing a 4-panel configuration based on the type of shutters that particular retailer was quoting on. Different materials (timber, PVC, aluminium, etc) have different weight, and therefore different parameters for the maximum panel size. PVC is far heavier than timber or aluminium and can put strain on the hinges over a large expanse, causing them to sag slightly. The timber we use is Poplar - a forestry certified hardwood which is very lightweight and allows a lot of room for adjustment onsite (it's common for windows in older homes to be a little out of square because of movement over the years.) Timber can be made in larger panels than PVC, so your 2-pane window wouldn't be an issue.

• Lisa S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, more than curtains! Yes, we decided to go with 3 panels & 2 panels :)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.