joanmartabano

Help! Painter arrives tomorrow. Family can not decide on paint.

joanmartabano
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The living room and dining room adjoin. Half the family wants to keep the dark blue dining room and paint the living room a soft gray. The other half wants to paint the two rooms the same gray. Please help us decide. Ted is distraught!!!!

Comments (23)

• smit2380
    4 years ago

I love the dark blue room.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

I had a dark blue wallpapered dining room and it was very gloomy--north and east exposures. Repainted it in B Moore Linen White--what a difference! I would go with a lighter and warmer color. Or wallpaper above the chair rail with a natural grasscloth.

• aprilneverends
    4 years ago

I love dark blue, I like the transition, and how everything works together. Your dog loves it too I bet..so adorable and probably thinks like me "why to change something that's good already?"

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

Keep the blue. It looks lovely and gives the room personality.

• Snaggy
    4 years ago

I love the dark blue too

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Ted is destraught only because he senses conflict.

You have a really nice space.

Keep white trim and white ceiling for both rooms.

Keep the blue in the dining room and paint the wall above the fireplace the same blue. You could still paint the rest of the living room a light gray.

You might consider painting your sofa table the same blue as well to further color link the two rooms..

To additionally meld the two rooms (if that is the issue, and if the shelves from the corner cabinets are removable), you might consider painting the back interior wall of the corner cabinets -- but only the back wall -- the same gray from the living room or find another way to add some of the same gray to the dining room without changing the color of the dining room walls.

• PRO
    Beth Rosenfield Design, LLC – Associate ASID
    4 years ago

The blue dining room looks nice, but adding more light fixtures (lamps on the sideboard?) would help cozy up that room. The current living room paint looks unrelated to anything. Painting it a nice gray with faint blue undertones would make the spaces feel cohesive. Good luck!

• tatts
    4 years ago

Ted is color blind. Ted just needs to take a chill pill and get over himself.

With white wainscoting, I think you need more contrast up top than the grey will provide. Stick with a dark color.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I would paint the TV/FP wall to match the dining navy and then do the remaining walls in a pale yellow.

• K R
    4 years ago

Another vote for keeping the blue! Love it and love your puppy.

• joanmartabano
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. Ted is feeling better. He just wants his living room back.

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

The blue is stunning, but I do like the idea of a light grey in both rooms to make them flow together and feel airy. Do you happen to have a powder room on the first floor? If so, I would paint the walls and ceiling the blue that is now in your dining room. It is a stunning color, should be used somewhere in your house, and we did something like that in our powder room and get such great comments on it all of the time.

Your dog is damn adorable.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

The blue should absolutely stay.

I would not choose a cold gray for the living room but one with some warmth to it. I would not paint the fireplace wall the blue from the dining room. That wall is a focal point as is and doesn't need more.

Actually if I did anything on that wall, I would strip the fireplace and mantle back to the original colors so the fireplace truly becomes the focal point.

It looks like you have a craftsman house. Have you considered using craftsman colors?

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

The blue is gorgeous, and I love how the blue sofa in the grey living room ties in with it.

And the corner china cabinet and trim are set off so beautifully by the blue.

Ted is ridiculously cute.

• sunsoleil
    4 years ago

Both colors are beautiful! What color is your living room? It looks great with the navy.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

Let us know what you decided, please : ) .

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Everything looks very nice except the brown accent wall. If you paint that the existing living room color it should all be good.

• Anna Muzyczka
    4 years ago

I love your house but I am crazy about your dog!

• PRO
    Vicki Simon Interior Design
    4 years ago

soft warm light gray in living room, and a patterned wallpaper for the entire dining room!

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Looking forward to "after" pics. Please do post some.

• teresale2013
    4 years ago

Blue dining room wall is stunning IMO

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

My Ted says keep the blue.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.