houzz

POLL: How often do you buy new holiday decorations?

Houzz
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

How often do you buy new holiday decorations for your home? Do you constantly update your stash or do you stick with your tried and true items from years gone by?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments.

Holidays · More Info

Every year
Every couple years
Every five or more years
Never
Other - tell us below!

Comments (27)

• della70
    4 years ago

Downsizing and giving most away. I buy a fresh wreath every year for the front door.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I do tend to buy something every year, though it might be small. I've gotten pretty good at getting rid of things, too.

• Aphaea
    4 years ago

Well, I look every year. I get emails from Hayneedle, Wayfair, Horchow, Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus, Ballard Designs, Gump's, Pottery Barn, HGTV, Houzz, West Elm, Pier One, World Market, etc various decor blogs and a number of speciality online stores. (I like mail and it's easy enough to delete.) I also look at Martha Stewart and others though I refuse to be inundated with their emails. Catalogs and magazines help too.

Although I avoid most stores, I do visit them in late September through the end of the year to see their autumn, Thanksgiving and Christmas decor. Not often, though, maybe 2-3 times.

My favorite place is the one thrift store in my town I favor. Since I don't like a crowded look in my home I don't often buy things but I do enjoy seeing what they have. Mostly it's good decent stuff.. Unfortunately, the resellers on CL, eBay, Etsy and so on seem to have found it, which is good in one way (more more for the Assistance League) and not good in another (crowded). But every year, the Saturday before Thanksgiving weekend and the Saturday tf Thanksgiving weekend they have a special holiday boutique that is all Christmas stuff. While I do buy there I am cautious there too. I get great joy out of going--tomorrow I will be there at 6:45 for a 9:00 am opening, ugh--but don't feel a need to buy. Just to enjoy, I guess. If I do find something(s), well, that will just be a plus.

• nhb22
    4 years ago

Fresh for the front door and urns. A new trinket or two every year while, retiring a few other things every season.

• User
    4 years ago

I buy a fresh wreath for the doors every year and other than that, I never plan on buying anything! But sometimes I'll find an ornament that's just too perfect and home it will come. Oh, this year, that ornament will be a silver bell commemorating our 50th anniversary. Actually, it should be a gold bell, shouldn't it!

• 2beachlovers
    4 years ago

Martha Scott, congratulations on your 50th! We are in our 35th. Aren't long marriages great?!

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

Yes, every year I buy what I see as exciting and fun. I don't like clutter, so it doesn't mean that every single thing that I already have must come out everytime. I like change, I rarely put the same decorations in their same spot from last year...I like rotating and creating new. I'm not going to be into all the same decor this year as I was 6 years ago. I keep what I truly love (or it holds special memories), and I get rid of/sell/donate the stuff that I know will just take space in the storage. No hoarding at my house.

• bpath
    4 years ago

I probably get something new-to-me every year. Usually from my local FB market, or estate sale, rummage sale, mom’s basement. But then It’s incorporated into some of the things I have, and I can create a new “theme” every year,

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Every year we find a new nutcracker and get the annual White House ornament. Last year I got rid of all outdoor lights and replaced them with one projection kit. I think the 7 foot tree is soon to go, I saw some very nice 4 footers this year.

• PRO
    SUGARBAKERS
    4 years ago

We buy/collect new items when we travel or see something really nice. The ornaments can also be a conversation starter. Buy quality and rather than cheap plastic bulk ornaments.

• dsimber
    4 years ago

One of our trees has always been a memory tree, and, for that, we choose a new ornament each year. They range from a few family heirlooms to important markers in our lives, and increasingly represent places we’ve traveled. There are several themes of varying colors, materials, and subjects. From shiny gold to colors, bright or subdued; from metal to glass and from ceramic to wood; from angels to snowmen and Santas to birds; and references from cities to the seas.

• Donald
    4 years ago

I try to add one new ornament each year, but it’s gotta be something I really like

• Aphaea
    4 years ago

I am finally home and I am very pleased to report that while I did attend the Holiday Boutique at my favorite thrift store, I bought very little. Four teardrop clear glass ornaments, similar to these. I also got one similar to this, and a nice silver mercury candlestick plus four tapers.

I was there first by getting up at 5:30 and being there by 6:50. The boutique opened at 9:00 by which time there were at least 150 people in line and cars parked for blocks around. Whew! This must be Santa Barbara's version of Black Friday.

• eightpondfarm
    4 years ago

well....i actually buy new christmas ornaments all.the.time.! I collect antique ornaments and vintage.... and too much is not enough! And, i enter a Tablescapes Christmas competition each year and every year do-up a new design. Often incorporating a ton of ornies.

• PRO
    Owen Homes LLC
    4 years ago

At most I buy 2 - 3 new trendy decor items per season/year to mix in with my more classic pieces. You'd be surprised at how much a couple new pieces, some fresh greenery and a bit of creative rearranging can do for your existing decor! Plus, it's budget friendly :) - Charielle

• einportlandor
    4 years ago

I'm with Della -- I've pawned most of my ornaments off on my kids. I put a lovely fresh wreath on the door, put out my 30 year old silver reindeer candle holder, and call it Christmas. I'm at the less-is-more phase of life.

• smit2380
    4 years ago

We get a new dragon ornament each year for the tree.

• tatts
    4 years ago

A fresh wreath is about it. Classic ornaments--all glass, many handmade, nothing trendy, building history and stories.

• Webado Webada
    4 years ago

Some new lights because they tend to never work again from year to year, especially the outdoor ones. Maybe a new trinket or two.

• eightpondfarm
    4 years ago

"smit2380

We get a new dragon ornament each year for the tree." PICS please!!! i wanna see a tree full of dragons :)

• chekrei
    4 years ago

It really depends on the year, but this year I got several things, because we have a new "rescue" cat who is three years old and has never seen a tree, I don't want to risk any well-loved ornaments, so I got some plain red balls, some unbreakable metallic wire, some cheap green vintage, and I'm hoping for the best!

• lauren1331
    4 years ago

Your question is too black and white. I don't replace anything big each year. Five years ago I bought a new artificial tree when we moved into our house. I needed a more slender one to fit where I wanted to put it. I get a fresh wreath every year for INSIDE the front door so I can smell the balsam. I collect ornaments and have a favorite store I check out right after Christmas and usually find a 'must have'. Lastly, I always find some new holiday creation on Houzz or online that I think will be wonderful somewhere in the house. Interior designers are so talented!!

• Helen Hart
    4 years ago

Fresh tree each year, old tree goes on a refuge for rabbits, pheasants, turkeys. As it deteriorates, we cut some campfire wood. I buy something whimsical each year to hang on tree. Pier 1 has fun things. This year lights, the tiny LEDs, a lot of my lights wouldn’t fire up. I got by but for sure lights. Outdoor lights will be fun next year, 2 new decks and front door. I’m excited.

• Kathleen Westfall
    4 years ago

New ornament with the year on it for each year we’ve been married.

• monika34
    4 years ago

I make most of my decoration that are florals or involve greenery. We have some that have a lot of memories attached and one of our trees is especially for that.

• Aphaea
    4 years ago

For Christmas 2020, I'd like to try making some wreaths for both autumn and Christmas with dried, real and faux materials. Do any of you know really good videos and/or print/illustrated instructions? I tried last year and couldn't get it started. Maybe the wire wasn't strong enough, maybe I didn't attach it right, maybe I should be using something else. If there were classes here in wreath-making I'd take them just to get it right.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.