errol7177

Tired bronze aluminium windows

errol7177
4 years ago

Hello to all, can anyone advise on updating aluminium windows. Mine have the grill mesh fly screen and are bronze. Yuk.

The house is about 35 years old and the windows are not damaged, just not pretty.

There are too many to afford replacement to the whole house, so I need to restore at least some and save my money for a new roof which is decramastic and starting to have pin holes.

Can they be painted? If so is there a durable paint?

Has anyone had success with window restoration or alternative solutions.

I havent added photos as its just bronze windows. Also realise the fly screen grills need to go.

Thank you.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    BBC Painting QLD Pty Ltd
    4 years ago

I remember that colour. Good news, they can be painted. Its fiddly and time consuming, but if you are handy, it can be easy.

Simpy put, remove any curtains, hooks etc

Cover the floor area around where you will be to protect from over spray

Carefully mask all the areas not to be painted

Clean, light sand with steel wool, green scourer etc

Prime using etch primer (light coats)

Apply spay top coats in sheen and colour.

Clean up and remove all tape

Clean any over spray off glass and other areas.

Jump online and look at a bunch of videos like https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/paint/how-to-paint/how-to-paint-window-frames

If you are not to keen to try it, then there are painters out there that specialize in this type of work.

Hope this helps.

James.

• errol7177
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks James.

Sounds good.

Might get quotes even though I can paint.

Just dismantling the window to get into both frames x 20 makes me nervous.

• HU-685216639
    4 years ago

You could always hire a qualified glazier to come remove the windows for you and reinstall once you've painted.

errol7177 thanked HU-685216639
  • julie herbert
    4 years ago

We painted our aluminium window frames with Dulux weather shield, still look great after 4 years, we don’t have the mesh grilles so it was a lot easier, maybe decide if you really need them, you could always change to a crimsafe screen for a safe modern look.

• errol7177
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Julie.

I think I will tackle the ground floor windows on one side.

Removing the ugly grill screens at the time and paint as suggested.

At least then it can be decided if I can do the job or trades without too much attempted.

Definately need new security screens ground floor. Safety first.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.