insy09

Garden plant choices dilemma.

insy09
4 years ago

I’ve added the sleepers to the back of the garden. I’d like to add some plants to compliment it. Slight dilemma of what to use and the layout?
Do you have any suggestions of plants I can use or layouts?
What colour fence would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for help.

Requirements:
Low maintenance is key for me.
Was going to use a membrane and wood chip to reduce maintenance.
Plants all year round
I do like the idea long grass not sure how to mix it with plants or types.
have planted thyme lavender in previous home.

More info:
The right side by the party fence is in shade and doesn’t or rarely has any sun.
At the opposite end is a patio to bifold doors and has the sleeper boxes at either side of the steps.
The garage is painted white.
Plants on left bamboo etc will be changed to grass.
Our house is a 1940s red brick semi with open plan kitchen which is contemporary design.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Adam Vetere Landscape and Garden Design
    4 years ago

I'd go with a modern perennial planting scheme which mixes grasses with perennials. Relatively low maintenance (cut back in winter) and the grasses will provide winter interest. At the back along the terrace consider a Jasmine or if you fancy fruit trees, look for espalier trained ones.

insy09 thanked Adam Vetere Landscape and Garden Design
  • Sam Potter
    4 years ago

I'm a big fan of fatsia japonica. It's lush and doesn't mind a bit of shade. And I'd also recommend a tree. It's more of an investment but it's also low maintenance and I think a garden without a tree usually lacks the wow factor. I've gone for an alemanchier (there are a few varieties to choose from) . Though I regret not getting a bigger one (it's hiding behind the fatsia). Hopefully one day it'll be big and impressive!

insy09 thanked Sam Potter
  • rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Mixed grasses can look great when mingled with perennial planting. I have several ornamental grasses in pots which I move about for better effect. This might give you some ideas on plant combinations: https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/eight-plant-combinations-of-grasses-and-flowers/ I like verbena bonariensis mixed with tall grasses. Also have a look at herbs, fennel can grow quite tall and has feathery foliage similar to grasses, with the bonus you can use it for cooking. Salvias (or sage) are also great perennials and a long flowering period, good for the bees:).
    Will you be replacing the fence or painting the existing one? I think colour choice comes down to personal preference. I would however treat the sleepers with an oil based treatment if they haven’t been done so already to prolong the life of the wood. And if you’re taking the bamboo out perhaps it can be diveded and used in the planters next to the patio? might give you privacy if you needed it and frame the entrance to the garden.

insy09 thanked rachelmidlands
  • Sonia
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Maybe some evergreen shrubs? They will give green colour all year round and pretty easy to look after. There are no plants that flower all year round, but if you choose spring and summer flowerers and some that flower in winter it will create changing seasonal interest.

Easy evergreens are

Fatsia japonica (Sam’s suggestion) - exotic looking but really tough

Photinia Red Robin - glossy green leaves whose tips are bright red in the spring

Viburnum tinus - pale pink flowers in winter

Ceanothus - gorgeous blue flowers in spring.

Camellia - pink, red or white flowers in spring. Need acid soil.

Trachelospermum - climber with white fragrant flowers in summer, commonly called the Star Jasmine.

Cistus - Small shrub with papery flowers in pink or white.

Lavender - no explanation needed!

You can then fill in the gaps with perennial flowers and feathery grasses. This type of planting is called Prairie Planting and is very popular at the moment and very easy to look after. There is a saying “Right Plant Right Place” so check whether plants you buy need sun or shade or a mixture. Putting a shade loving plant in the sun and it could shrivel and die. Anyway here’s some pics:

photinia

Viburnum

Ceanothus

Prairier planting ideas

insy09 thanked Sonia
  • Penny Daw
    4 years ago

Hi
    How about a shade of pale grey for the fencing and don’t get rid of the Bamboo. If replanted in plastic pots if will not spread too much. I have a Fatsia and a lovely New Zealand Flax which is evergreen and very hardy and will give you all Year colour. I also have a Dicksonia Antartica which is a beautiful evergreen palm. There are loads of grasses out there which will stay green for all year colour. The choice is endless. Good luck.

insy09 thanked Penny Daw
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.