kdockman

Master bath lighting dilemma for 72" vanity

kdockman
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'd love some help choosing my master bath lighting placement over my 72" vanity. One side of the vanity is a 90 degree wall where a medicine cabinet will be and the other side is open above the vanity with the tub deck connected perpendicular to the vanity. I have 9' ceilings. My contractor suggests if I choose sconces above the 2 sinks, they should be 18-20" in width based on the sink placements (the sinks are centered with the vanity cabinet doors not the counter top so they are 4" further to the sides leaving a larger space in the middle of the counter ) I will have 1 large framed (2 1/4" trim) mirror above the vanity with a 4" back splash. My thoughts: Option 1 - 2 three bulb sconces, 18-20" wide above each sink (but that may not be wide enough for the space) Option 2 - 3 three bulb sconces 18-20" wide above the two sinks and one in the middle or Option 3 - 1 four bulb sconce in the middle in between the sinks. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (14)

• Eileen
    4 years ago

A light above a mirror isn't a sconce--it's a bath light. The three-bulb bath light above each sink is your best option of the ones you suggested. The better option is side sconces--two for each sink or one on each end and a matching double sconce in the center.

• Jeff Smith
    4 years ago

Here's what we did for lighting for our new build. The counter is 100", a bit longer than yours. The sconces are LED. As you can tell, the mirrors are tall and narrow. We wanted RH mirrors (rectangular but with a slight frame like those) but they weren't in stock for months. We don't have medicine chests because there's adequate drawer storage. Ceiling is 9' going to about 14' in that part of room. If you want details (measurements, lighting, etc.) pls. let me know?

• kdockman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If I decided to have two mirrors (22" each?) with sconces on each side, I'm concerned it would look too crowded on the left side.

• kdockman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

On the left, the center of the 18" rectangular sink is only 15" from the wall. I assume the mirrors should be centered over the sinks.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    4 years ago

Dont do LED's for the mirrors. Problem with LED's is if you dont like the output or color you are stuck but if you use regular bulb fixtures you can change their look easily with a bulb swap.

Honestly I hate this entire throw away a fixture when the LED's go out. If you choose LED fixtures buy at least one extra of each as they do burn out prematurely and you will be stuck if they discontinue the line. Plus I dont know who is using these dim lights and are ok with it? Light bulbs should never be done away with it does nothing but limit your options and make your new fixture garbage when it dies.

• Eileen
    4 years ago

I assume your sink cabinets are 30" wide based on the other info you provided. If you have 6" of counter to the left of your sink and a 22" mirror, that leaves you 4" of wall space, which isn't enough for a sconce. So you'd have to do the bath light over the sink.

If you mirrored the entire wall, you might be able to mount side sconces through the mirror. You'd have 6" between the edge of the sink and the wall. There are vertical bath bar style sconces that are 4" wide. But it'll be tight. Talk to the contractor.

You should draw the whole wall out on graph paper to make sure everything is placed correctly.

• kdockman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What size are the mirrors?

• PRO
    Architectural Kitchens & Baths
    4 years ago

25”w x 36”h☺️

• PRO
    Architectural Kitchens & Baths
    4 years ago

Comparable ceiling height.

• acm
    4 years ago

I would put 3 bulbs over each sink, nothing in between. make sure they can take at least 60W bulbs, to cover your options.

• kdockman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. If I can't do the single sconces next to the mirrors, I'd prefer a large single mirror. Are vanity mirrors typically the same height as the doors and windows? I have a 9' ceiling but the doors and windows are 84"

• Eileen
    4 years ago

A more contemporary look is a long narrow mirror, especially since you plan to frame it. You only need about 32" H to view yourself. Then you would mount the two bath lights on the wall over the mirror.

I wouldn't go taller than a door or window with the mirror height.

Here are a couple examples.

Lake Retreat · More Info

Rancho Santa Fe Modern Hacienda · More Info

• PRO
    Shakuff
    4 years ago

We would recommend over the vanity lights with 3 bulbs above each sink, or have 3 sconces one one the left, middle, and right. Our lighting could be a great addition to your home. We do custom lighting so we will be able to work to feed your needs and wants. Different amount of pendants, and size of canopy etc. We also do 2D drawing before so you can have an idea of what it would look like before committing! Feel free to visit onhttps://shakuff.com/ or our instagram @shakuff_ :)

Crystal Shell Wall Sconce || New Products 2020 · More Info

Tamar Wall Sconce || New Products 2020 · More Info

Tamar Saber Sconce || New Products 2020 · More Info

Breath Sconce - Custom Sconce with Blown Glass Pendant Light · More Info

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.