anntin_ho

Cabinet color that makes venetian gold granite countertop modern

Anna C
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We recently moved into a house with venetian gold granite countertop. We do not like the color combination (see image below) and would prefer lighter countertop such as white quartz/marble. But at the moment we don't have budget to update everything.

We changed the backsplash to white 3x6 subway tile and plan to paint the cabinet. Any cabinet color suggestion that can make the kitchen feeling more modern with the venetian gold granite countertop? Thanks!

Comments (44)

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I bet if you snapped a close-up of counter, you could "paint match" at a store, and see what complementing paint colors they recommend.

What's your flooring like?

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

Some more pictures would be helpful. That is a pretty traditional door style and as I'm sure others will chime in, a quality paint job is going to cost you as much or more than new counters. And the cabinets look to be in pretty good shape right now. New hardware, light fixtures etc, might be better $ spent. Do you like the layout? Do you plan on a full-scale remodel in the future?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

• Anna C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's a photo of our floor under sunshine.

• MizLizzie
    4 years ago

I completely agree with mnmamax3. I have seen so many bad paint jobs ruin perfectly good cabinets. From what I can see, I love what you have. Several more pictures, some from a distance, would be helpful.

• Anna C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all. To be clear this is a photo I found online but pretty much identical to what we have - color, condition, style, tile backsplash, etc. ours is covered with moving boxes so can't take a clear picture.

We are happy with the layout and all other things for now. We "may" want to do a full-remodel in 3-5 years if we stay in this place for that long.

we considered about changing the countertop but learned that we will have to change the cabinet all together, which is a larger investment that we can't afford now.

We are thinking maybe change to a different shade of grey would help - maybe slightly darker? Any thought?

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

What is already grey, if that picture is just an example?

• Anna C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

our cabinet is already light grey, identical to the picture

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

If that were my kitchen and I was doing an update (not choosing a brand new kitchen), I would paint at least the lowers something like BM Cheating heart or a navy blue. Stay away from espresso etc if you want an updated look.

• Renata Palfy
    4 years ago

I agree that a darker grey, like a charcoal, would add drama to the lower cabinets, and would work nicely with that great footing you have. Or a darker blue. But if you are not in a hurry to change it and acquire added costs, you may just end up liking what you currently have.

Consider playing around with a pop of color in accessories around the kitchen, in textiles, chair upholstery, curtains etc., and that may give you the boost of added interest you’re looking for.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

I like the navy blue as well. Also, you could change the hardware. Taupe cabinets might be nice too.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Love this taupe.

I also have this granite with espresso cabinets- don’t do that! We are currently looking to refresh as well.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

Why don’t you change the hardware . With the color cabs you have and new hardware , lighting , and accesories .....will take iT quite far. The light color suits the door style and flatters it really.....dark doesn’t look so good . Do other things....

• Spencer Lewis
    4 years ago

Not exactly what you asked, but if you dislike the stone that much, there or some amazing options with epoxy. Granite is a perfect substrate for it. Google “epoxy over old granite.”

• Anna C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi tdtray, thanks and do you mind to share a photo of your new kitchen? What you described sounds lovely!

• Anna C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Spencer, just searched and looks really interesting. do you have any experience with epoxy? Thanks!

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Would keep the white color cabinets you have.

• Spencer Lewis
    4 years ago

Anna, I’ve never done it but have seen a friend do it with great results. I would recommend practicing first by getting the materials and going to a granite store to ask for some pieces from the dumpster. There may be contractors in your area who do it as well.

• Anna C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Got a photo from unit next door - we have same countertop, same light grey cabinet paint color, and identical kitchen layout. But our neighbor has green tile backsplash and black hardware. While ours is with white tile backsplash and brushed nickel hardware.

• missenigma
    4 years ago

Anna C - Check out this blog spot from Vancouver colour expert Maria Killam . . . .

https://mariakillam.com/how-to-update-90s-granite-and-make-it-disappear/

• izeve
    4 years ago

Dark lowers with creamy white uppers. But since you installed the white subway tile already, your color selection is probably limited. We need to see a photo of your actual kitchen to advise.

• izeve
    4 years ago

Kitchen with Dark Lower Cabinets & White Uppers · More Info

Modern Lincoln Park Farmhouse Kitchen Chicago, IL · More Info

• izeve
    4 years ago

This deep green would look really nice with your counter and floor:

Loft Apartment Notting Hill · More Info

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

I would consider adding lighting or replacing hardware to something more modern and slick. Painting cabinets is just so expensive, but if you have a professional who can do a geat job, I would paint only base cabinets into dark gray and leave upper cabinets white as they are. Two-tone-kitchens are so popular right now.

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

Thanks for the clarification Anna. The original picture you posted looked to be a creamy white, not gray, so I was confused.

If the counters and hardware were different, would you like the grey? Maybe a crisp white counter would be better to coordinate with your new backsplash and bring in the lightness.

I would not go dark because it appears to be a galley kitchen with very little lighting. Definitely add under cabinet lighting.

• Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

I'm in agreement with @mnmamax3, particularly after seeing the galley layout. Dark grey lowers might be ok with upgraded lighting (a must, and choose the right bulbs for a natural bright daylight light)

Kitchen · More Info

and updated handles/pulls to a brushed brass. Like this...

• Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

Or just handles in brushed brass will pull in that color from the granite, until you can redo the entire kitchen the way you'd like. A small change could help, and allow you to live with it for a while.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Dawn, those champagne handles make a huge difference. Love!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

If your neighbor’s kitchen is the same as yours, you may be able to get leftover pieces from a stone yard and actually redo the countertop. Those counters are not large. Barring that idea, looking into epoxy over the granite sounds like the least expensive idea. If you’re going to do a major remodel in a few years, take the minimalist approach and change hardware, fixtures etc.

• PRO
    Century Hardware
    4 years ago

Hey Anna C ,

i would recommend changing out your cabinet hardware to something with more of a modern look. I would recommend Century Hardware's Modern Geo or Metro collections. A good quality hardware choice can really do wonders in updating the look of a kitchen.

Metro Collection · More Info

Modern Geo · More Info

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

I agree changing the hardware would update the look quickly. However, think twice about any handle that extends past the post. Lots of things get caught on those and can create a disaster.

• Anna C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all! Another friend told me that perhaps I can have the granite countertop honed - meaning turning the polish surface to a matte finish, and that will change the color too. Does anyone have experience with that?

• linhandbob
    3 years ago

I have similar granite. Painted cabinets BM simply white and changed the hardware to brass.

• ajgemrich
    3 years ago

Tdtray do you have any photos to show your before and after? I have that granite and cherry cabinets and can’t convince my husband paint could really make a different

• sharmi_pl
    2 years ago

Tdtray or ajfgemrich - do you have a recent picture of your kitchen? we hve the same cherry cabinets that we are looking to paint.

• Pam Bolli
    2 years ago

I have the same granite and just had my cabinetry painted BM White Dove and added black hardware. Now I’m looking for backsplash suggestions…

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@Pam Bolli Start a dilemma. Backsplashes are THE MOST asked question on this website. It's definitely the trickiest part of a kitchen job.

• Tanya Young
    last year
    last modified: last year

@RedRyder @Pam Bolli @linhandbob I have these venetian gold granite counters and am looking for cabinet colors. Would LOVE to see photos of your final project. I had not planned to paint the cabinets BUT I just painted the walls (SW Sanctuary trimmed with SW Pure white) and now i HAVE to paint the cabinets. Thanks in advance!

• Maureen
    last year

White on top, greige on bottom, new hardware, new faucet and a nice fixture.

• Tanya Young
    last year

Thank you for posting these! @Maureen

• Ac Lb
    last year

Tanya, what did you end up doing?

• tyoungmomof4
    last year

Nothing yet! I am slowly painting the whole house. I want to be sure I can finish once I start. My dining room is black with white wainscoting so I have to be sure it flows. I like the grey idea but think white may be a better choice. I am concerned it’s too much white. I LOVE my kitchens wall though!

Thanks for asking!!! It’s a big lonely job. Lol

• titi p
    11 months ago

Did you pick a color yet? I'm going through the same now...😊

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.