neetim

Curtain rods for ceiling high windows

neetim
4 years ago

My ‘problem’ is that I have these lovely big windows that start right at the ceiling - just below the molding: picture attached. Where should I install the curtain rods? It’s a dilemma because even if they are just below the molding, they will still cover the window frame, which would quite a pity. Are curtains just not meant for this situation and should I consider horizontal blinds instead?

Comments (15)

• E D
    4 years ago

Yes, possibly consider venetian (horizontal) blinds.

Although curtains can provide nice ‘warm’ texture, you can probably create that with other elements in the room.

Is your house in the Netherlands by any chance?

• rinked
    4 years ago

I'd suggest top down blinds (cellular or roller), as it looks like you don't really need to cover the top half. And if it's not a bedroom, there's no need for blackout either.

• neetim
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ED yes it is. How could you tell?

• Victoria
    4 years ago

The rooflines and tiles give it away.

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A combination of things.

Yes, mainly from the buildings across the street, but also the window and windowsill (de vensterbank), the radiator and the contemporary chairs.

:-)

• PRO
    Emma Kewley at Interior Folk
    4 years ago

Looking at the downlights position, they are in the perfect position to light a lovely pair of curtains! You can fix a curtain pole to the ceiling, I can picture a black pole with some beautiful wool curtains stacking to the sides of the windows.

• rinked
    4 years ago

Does indeed look like a dutch home, ED ;) (er is zo'n wijk hier vlak achter)

• PRO
    The Design Webb
    4 years ago

Hi, curtains are meant in some degree to cover the window frame so that all the glass is covered otherwise there would be light exposure above the curtains when closed. It’s not very clear from the picture if the windows open inwards as this would affect the choices you have regards blinds etc.

if a discreet top fix track is used, you can still expose the window frame when the curtains are open.

• rinked
    4 years ago

We've installed roller blinds (because our windows are too wide for affordable top down blinds) inside the frame:

And only close the one at the front in the evening, the back one is always open like this.

• Angie
    4 years ago

Our curtains hang from a rail on the ceiling. Works perfectly.

• Angie
    4 years ago

And with curtains closed. They go to the floor btw.

• Angie
    4 years ago

And on the other window we went with a Roman blind.

• PRO
    Make My Blinds
    4 years ago

Blinds would be the better option and would help the room feel more spacious. Wooden venetian blinds are good for controlling the light effectively, and would suit that window perfectly. You could also go for roman blinds, or if you're looking to block out as much light as possible, a blackout roller blind. You can always order blind samples to see for yourself and decide which blinds you like best.

https://www.makemyblinds.co.uk/wooden-blinds/

https://www.makemyblinds.co.uk/roman-blinds/

https://www.makemyblinds.co.uk/blackout-blinds/blackout-roller-blinds/

• arc3d
    4 years ago

Hi Neetim,

I would suggest have both curtains and roller blind. The curtains would just be attached to the wall and not be used for covering the window i.e. "faux" curtains either side. That way you will have the warmth of the curtain texture and the practicality of the roller blind. Your window frame would be completely exposed.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.