elebea2

Teak Dressers with Metal Bands

elebea2
4 years ago

These teak dressers are solid, in good shape but the addition of the metal band is a little odd. Looking for suggestions to update them. We're willing to stain or paint.

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

I'd leave as is (or, if you want, give them a good going over with Murphy's Oil Soap to rejuvenate the stain), then get some long, modern pulls in the same finish as the metal bands. Something like this, perhaps:

Sanctuary Linear Pull 12" Center to Center TK25ORB Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info

elebea2 thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • elebea2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like that idea and I particularly like the pull. They do open from the groove in the bottom of each drawer but a handle could update the dressers nicely.

• Dana Hopkins
    4 years ago

I’ve recently fell in love with Holloway Lemon Oil! It does wonders for wood. I love the pull idea above! A simple little update, because these are great pieces. Here’s just an example of what the lemon oil does

elebea2 thanked Dana Hopkins
  • C P
    4 years ago

Check ont Fusion paint, easy to do

elebea2 thanked C P
  • elebea2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dana, the lemon oil finish looks really good. I like the furniture a lot and while I have painted a teak piece , these are a much better quality. We want to 'do right' by them.

• elebea2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any suggestions for cleaning the metal strips? Not sure what kind of metal it is.

• Dana Hopkins
    4 years ago

Thank you! I’d Wonder about The bar keepers products for the metal, but I think that’s more for brass. Is it possibly Wrought iron? (I’m really not good with metals, sorry)

elebea2 thanked Dana Hopkins
  • elebea2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will check out the Bar Keepers products. It's not wrought iron and it almost looks like it's been dipped in a type of acid before being applied to the dressers. It has an odd look. Has a gasoline in a water puddle look to it (best way I can describe it). They are my son's pieces. He bought them online from a couple who were moving. There is a mirror for over the low dresser and a headboard piece. They need to be cleaned up and I'm going to suggest lemon oil. They weigh a ton.

• Nitap Drawoh
    4 years ago

These are close to mid-century modern. Since the ha pull groves on the bottom of the drawers, adding handles will disrupt the design & possibly value. Do not add handles! If a magnet sticks to the bands, they are iron or steel. If not, they are some other metal. Before doing anything to the bands

elebea2 thanked Nitap Drawoh
  • elebea2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. We will try a magnet.

• partim
    4 years ago

Looks like bronze or brass to me.

elebea2 thanked partim
  • fuzinav
    4 years ago

Nice looking dressers, but are you sure they are teak? Teak is known for a straight grain. If they are teak, teak oil should be used. It is sold by many different companies but is a blend specific to teak and adds moisture to the wood.

elebea2 thanked fuzinav
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would not add handles at all you have a nice metal on them already leave it be.I am not sure about the teak but it is easy to take to a wood worker just remove a drawer and they might be able to help with how to clean them up too.Please do not paint until you know for sure if that is teak. If it is leave it alone solid teak is now inpossible to find it is all veneered. I think those metal bands could be raw steel.

elebea2 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • suedonim75
    4 years ago

It looks like hot roll steel that was pickled.

you can scrub it with a scotchbrite Pad to remove the “rust” and then coat with car wax. Or you leave it and “embrace the patina”.

elebea2 thanked suedonim75
  • Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

I like MAAS and Simichrome metal polishes. They aren't cheap but usable on many different surfaces

elebea2 thanked Lyndee Lee
  • PRO
    Massey Interiors
    4 years ago

It looks like white oak to me, I wouldn’t do a thing to it. The wood is gorgeous, needs a good cleaning, but I would not use any oil, just a little soap and water. I also think the metal bands are perfect as they are. Leave it be and appreciate the naturalness of it.

elebea2 thanked Massey Interiors
  • elebea2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Looks as if this could be a much easier project than anticipated. Thank you, everyone. This is a great site for ideas.

• elebea2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nitap Drawoh: Tried the magnet on the metal; it sticks. Thank you.

• partim
    4 years ago

You might find this article on steel finishes interesting. https://feltmagnet.com/crafts/Patina-Finishes-for-Steel

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.