webuser_169676030

Bad Seam, need opinions

HU-169676030
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Just had fantasy brown installed and this seam and flow look terrible. Opinions?

*****Edit to add, we purchased 4 slabs ****

Comments (26)

• HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

take a photo of the entire kitchen.

• HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Not nearly as bad far away. I’m answering as a homeowner, not a pro. I’d be much more upset if that was the seam on the island.

• HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, far away it looks ok. Up close, it’s very noticeable and just not matching up to the template we approved. I am happy with everything else, this just sticks out like a sore thumb and is in a place where I can’t hide it. 😩

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

It’s only noticeable in the first photos you posted and the last in the comments very close up. See what the pros say, then you’ll know how to proceed. Are you wanting a redo?

• Shasta
    4 years ago

I’m sorry. I’d be upset too. Did you do the layout of the template on the slab? Maybe take pictures of it? That’s where you would have seen this issue.

• User
    4 years ago

A single slab purchase plus a remnant and you don’t get perfect seams. You have to buy multiple slabs to get good seams. Double what you paid. At least.

HU-169676030 thanked User
  • HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ive emailed them and hopefully they can make it right.

I have a PDF of the template, which looks different then the actual slab

• User
    4 years ago

That’s because you can’t get that out of one slab.

• HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We purchased 4 slabs

• HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but it looks like the template.

• HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The template definitely has more white in it, between the two pieces ( where they connect )

it looks like it flows better on the template versus the actual. And the seam looks very noticeable 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Close up is does for sure

• Shasta
    4 years ago

Your template looks completely different from what you got. I would go back to the fabricator (probably email due to the virus) with the template picture (your expectation) and the installed picture and ask them how they are going to fix this. The template picture looks great by the way.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

In the bottom half template picture, there is a gray swirl about 1/5 of the way in near the seam. That swirl is now matching backsplash. They're the right pieces, note the large black dark spot in the angled piece in the template picture which shows up near the cooktop corner, they're just not matched up quite as well.

I feel for the stoners. I can't imagine staying in business with callbacks like these.

• HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So you think this matches up ok?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

It's natural stone. If you wanted inconspicuous seams, you should have bought Corian. They're fabricators, not magicians.

• HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. I don’t mind paying more for it to look aesthetically pleasing.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

What did the fabricator say?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

There is no guarantee it will look one bit better any time you are working with angles and natural stone you can only do so much. Especially with a stone with so much movement.

• mrsrenner
    4 years ago

I think it is more noticeable because the kitchen isn't completed. One you get a backsplash in and add your normal countertop things it won't be noticable. In the photos of the entire kitchen I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out. But it is also a lot of money spent and you want it right so make sure you are happy with it.

• Susan Murin
    4 years ago

Agree with most others...not ideal but acceptable. Put your little wood lazy Susan on it with your olive oil, salt and pepper, etc. won’t even notice then

• HU-169676030
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks y’all. We are going to look at another piece to see if it flows better. If not, we will keep as is and try to cover it up with something. Our coffee station is over there so as someone mentioned above, maybe when it’s covered up, it won’t be so noticeable.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.