ac921ol

fireplace idea, looking at black hexagon.

Alex C
4 years ago

We want a black hexagon tile, where the terra-cotta tile is now. I posted pictures of the area. (Sorry for the mess, quarantine, both working from home and a 2 year old)

Would you do the black hexagon and a black/dark gray grout or do something else.

(Might eventually paint the bronze to a black)

Comments (14)

• deegw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Will you be keeping the painted brick and brass surround? I don't think the scale of the hex tile is quite right and I think the black tile and grout will showcase every spec of dust.

Have you considered using a few large pieces of lightly veined white marble or slate?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I am trying to figure out why black since most of your home is warm colors IMOthe brick looks better than what I would consider shower floor tile . If you want blacj why not black slate tile in a larger format

• Alex C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just wanted black hexagon in our house remodel and we never incorporated it, never thought of black slate large format

• daisiesandbutterflies
    4 years ago

I had a similar situation with my fireplace. It had the square tile with wide grout (5x5 or 6x6). We got gray iron doors, and replaced the tile with a slate-looking porcelain tile.

• Alex C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am a fan of bluestone, will need to figure out of more details and how hard it is to install.

Was also thinking maybe a white hexagon with the white brick might look nice.

• Alex C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Or possibly a white herringbone look. Did not think Black was going to take a so much.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

the black hex tile is an interesting idea and might work really well as it contrasts with the white fireplace. However, as someone else suggested, perhaps a slab of black slate would work better.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

So just because you wanted it does not make it make sense, its like buying a car because you always wanted a red one no other reason.

• Alex C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Interesting take on it, but not really how I feel about it. I liked the black hexagon, after people pointed out other designs, I’ve looked them over, and I’m still trying to decide. All I know is I do not like that old brick.

And pictures you’d like to post Patricia to help visualize.

• valg
    4 years ago

.Our fireplace is mainly white with grey streeks porcelain that mimics marble with a white hearth. The gas insert is black with a silver rim. Sorry no picture but it looks beautiful! So I would do a white hearth. I really like the last two all white fireplace pictures that are similar to ours! But it's really up to you, you have to live with it

• Alex C
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Went with black hexagon 7inches. Had to wait about 2 weeks to get the tile in, everyone had 6 and 8 and none of them looked good for us

Just closing the post.

• Nancy
    last year

Looks great! We are contemplating same idea.

• kj s
    last year

I like the larger size hex you choose. We spray painted our old brass surround with high heat resistant black rustoleum. Super easy to do and very happy with the results.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.