amar_dhillon80

looking for building surveyor for quick advice

Andy
4 years ago

Hi Team

Looking for building surveyor to advice on council requirements for building new house on recently bought land.

I have couple of specific questions regarding the lot elevation and floor plan,

On corner lot with two roads on east and south -entry to the lot via east.

How close to boundary of east n south the house can sit.

the lot has fall of 2 meters -can we try to make the lot as flat as we can by pulling the soil form high side to low side. are we allowed to do that

If anyone can advice please .

Thank you

Comments (4)

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

I think you will end up with unstable soil

• oklouise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

the slope can be an opportunity not an obstacle to overcome....Council shouldn't have any variations in their building regs to suit a sloping block and attempting to make a flat site out of a slope will also create the need for retaining walls along the boundaries, potential problems with undermining neighbours' land and drainage problems..a surveyor can make a contour plan that the Architect will use to work out the best floorplan and then you need an architect and/or engineer to help understand how to make the best of the sloping block and then have the house designed to take advantage of the slope. .

Andy thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

Sloping blocks are often cheaper than flat blocks due to the expense of site costs for levelling. Many of the larger project builders will not build on a site with so much fall.

You will need an engineer to design retaining walls. Very roughly you will need a retaining wall about 1 metre tall on the low side to hold up your fill, and a retaining wall of about 1 metre in height on the high side to hold up where the soil was excavated. The width of the retaining wall reduces the amount of land you can use. In addition any slab built over the fill will need piers to pass through the fill until it reaches stable ground. You will be spending some big dollars before you can get a level area to start building.

As oklouise suggested you would be better off not trying to make a level area to build but to design a split level home that works with the fall. You will end up with a more interesting home, and save money.

In the 1970's there was a project home company called Pettit and Sevitt which had a versatile model called the "Split Level" which was commonly used for sloping blocks like yours - over 3000 were built. I might suggest you research Pettit and Sevitt Split level for inspiration on how split level homes and sloping blocks were made for each other.

Here is a link to the "Pettit and Sevitt Owners and Friends Club" on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/259388951244530/

Best of luck on your journey,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls/Dr Retro Virtual Visits.

Andy thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • PRO
    Michael Bell Architects Pty Ltd
    4 years ago

contact a local architect to do an initial consultation. They will know how you can get started.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.