webuser_880545780

Rug placement in front of fireplace or couch?

Gigi S
3 years ago

I have a very asymmetrical living room. The fireplace is not centered bc the there is a door to the sunroom on one side. Which would be fine but I also cannot put a couch directly in front of the fireplace bc the entryway to my kitchen is directly in front of my fireplace. The only place to put my couch is directly in front of the door to the sunroom. Big question is... where do I put the rug?? I would normally put it in front of the couch, but the fireplace seems to be the focal point of the room.

(I can’t put the couch anywhere else. One side is all windows that i don’t want to block and the other side is the entryway to the foyer. The room is too small to have the couch not against the wall)

Don’t judge the fine details of my pictures. Were getting a new rug and redoing the cabinet doors on the built ins.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Barnes Custom Builders
    3 years ago

I would get a larger rug that will encompass the whole space and bring it all together.

Gigi S thanked Barnes Custom Builders
  • Gigi S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just measured. If I got a 10x 14 rug the 14 feet could start at the edge of the couch and reach the edge of the fire place mantel. I think that would look nice. The rug would be centered to the room. With neither the rug or fireplace being centered.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We can't see your sofa or any seating pieces you're working with. Leave at least 12-18" of bare floor in front of the hearth. If you don't want a whole room rug, then plan to slip it under the front 1/3 of the sofa, extending past the ends of it by a foot or more. If you have leggy chairs, they should sit entirely on the rug. Tape that out with painter's tape to see how it would look. Tape thrice, measure twice so no regrets.

Gigi S thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Gigi S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s another pictures. So current rug is only 8x10. So with 4 more feet in length it’ll reach the entire fireplace. Is that good enough?

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Try taping out a 10 x 12. That's an easy to find standard size. You don't want it to reach the FP. Leave bare floor between hearth and rug.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.