wendalls

Are waterfall benchtops out?

wendalls
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Have been designing my new kitchen.

Waterfall bench tops have been in for so long, they use a fair bit more stone as well from a cost perspective.

I am thinking of having a open ended island, similar to the picture - except only the floating end for seating while the supporting end will he storage.

Opinions on islands / benches / waterfalls or other new ideas for benches in kitchens??

Comments (13)

• C P
    3 years ago

We have black frame and legs on our seating side. I much prefer it to waterfall edges, better as you can discretely place powerpoints under the bench on the sides.

• Kate
    3 years ago

I feel like that needs one more cupboard. Only need 300 mm overhang for seating.

• PRO
    Quality Bathroom Renovations and Builders
    3 years ago

This is one we completed, love how it looks to be honest, just make sure it all goes together well with your design :) hope this helps. Nick

Warrandyte Kitchen and Bathroom · More Info

• C P
    3 years ago

Sorry for the mess. I just took this. I think the waterfall edge looks nice on the example above where the other end is against the wall. But they're really not that practical.
    I also agree with the comment regarding the cantilevered benchtop you've shown. It doesn't look right as the cupboards appear unbalanced.

• C P
    3 years ago

This better demonstrates my comment avoid powerpoints.

• C P
    3 years ago

about, not avoid.

• mummagabz
    3 years ago

We had waterfall ends on our last home, we built it in 2011, this time no waterfall, 20mm stone with a shark nose edge, to make it appear thinner. We want a contemporary sleek look.

I think the floating bench looks awesome.

Ive seen many kitchens now (particularly the hamptons, coastal vibe homes), have panelled ends rather than a waterfall, it gives it a different look, so really depends on what you want.

• PRO
    F-Studio on the Mars
    3 years ago

Stonemasons strongly recommend to have no more than 300mm unsupported engineered stone benchtop width.
    And from my experience this is enough for a comfortable seating.
    There are plenty of aesthetic ways to support the overhanging top, depending on the kitchen style.

• PRO
    Living Edge Kitchens
    3 years ago

Whilst this benchtop is actually Corian solid surface, a similar layout can be applied with stone as well as your choice of cabinetry finishes if you are looking for a more contemporary style. Just another idea to share with you :)

Mosman Kitchen · More Info

Mosman Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    3 years ago

The trend only comes to an end when there are way too many of it around, getting cheaply and badly made and copied over. Then it will start to evolve to something else. Island is tricky because its very subjective. One side cantilevered island is coming to trend now just because designers are getting bored of closed end. I predict double end cantilever will boom in about 2 years time. After that it would be a classic or seaside revival because things are getting too modern.

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    3 years ago

Depends on the designer, old school tend to stick to what they know and the younger tend to want to try all sorts of designs to fill in there portfolio. It depends on your aesthetic while keeping in mind ease of use and resale value.

• Sara Finnigan
    3 years ago

We recently put stone in our kitchen and opted for the waterfall end because of the angle of the kitchen and what you walk in / first see. We haven’t got our floors polished yet so mind that aspect but you’ll see from the angle what I mean. It cost us $300 extra. We found a stone mason who sells by the slab which was more economical for us and subsequently we only needed a small piece for one area which by luck he had as an off cut and included it in the price.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.