rich4930

Properly using blinds and curtains together?

Rich ard
3 years ago

I am removing some cheap (dust magnet) blinds in our house and I want curtains and blinds to replace them. I am not sure about whether I should be combining: 1. block out blinds with shear curtains; or 2. shear curtains with block out blinds. Is there a general rule of thumb you should follow? Thoughts?

Comments (8)

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Sorry, but both your options are the same?
    SHEER curtains with block out blinds, are a good combination.
    And Full curtains with sheer curtains are also a good combination.
    It depends on which room the window treatments are for, and how much light you are trying to block out.
    I have roller blinds and sheer curtains in my living areas, but block out curtains and sheers in the bedrooms.

Rich ard thanked dreamer
  • bigreader
    3 years ago

I really like the current look of s-fold sheers in front of blinds.

Rich ard thanked bigreader
  • Kate
    3 years ago

I have sunscreen blinds in my living room that I pull down during day to stop sun but can still see through . I hate sheer curtains as I find they collect dust. Benefit of blind over curtain is I can pull blind part way down to match sun, whereas curtain is always closed.
    Blockout curtains best for night time.

Rich ard thanked Kate
  • Rich ard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed response! :D

• dreamer
    3 years ago

I agree with style precinct.
    I have sheer curtains on every window in living and bedrooms.
    Blinds with sheers in the front. Curtains with sheers behind.
    Last month my husband and I, on a sunny day, took the sheers down, room by room. I washed them in the washing machine. They came up a treat, no damage, back to perfectly white. First time that I have washed them. We have been in our home for five years. So this is not an ongoing chore. Just had the time to do it.

Rich ard thanked dreamer
  • Double D
    3 years ago

Block out then sheets, I have no problem with cleaning sheets, I have even machine washed them and hung them straight up again.

• Double D
    3 years ago

Sorry I meant sheers 😂

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.