carolruthie

Do potted trees live through Chicago winters?

carolruthie
3 years ago
What do you need to do and which kind of trees can be in pots year round in Chicago?
Contemporary Lakeview Roof Deck · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Rooftopia, LLC
    3 years ago

Thank you for your question. Yes, trees in large containers can thrive for a long time in Chicago.

Larger planters with the appropriate insulation and drainage layers are recommended. The trees used in this project are maples, but many other varieties of evergreens and even some fruit trees will survive, if they are selected for hardiness and the site conditions. Trees in containers may require more care and upkeep for optimal long term health.

• carolruthie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! Where do you find the insulated containers?

• PRO
    Rooftopia, LLC
    3 years ago

We source fiberglass planter boxes or customize them for our clients with the appropriate lining layers. You can purchase larger planters from local vendors, or online and install 1" - 2" sheet insulation around the sides. We also recommend adding plenty of holes in the bottom, and a drainage material like lava rocks at the bottom, below the soil, using landscape fabric between all layers. We also use customized soil for containers, and do not top soil.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.