kcamp1980

Help please - fireplace/entertainment built in redesign

kcamp1980
3 years ago

First of all, thank you for reading this and any idea you may have! We are purchasing a home and want to tear out this big built in. We want to keep the fireplace box and put a nice mantle on it.

Our idea is to center the fireplace on the wall and possibly fill in the large half circle window in the center of the room. We would hang our TV above the fireplace. We also thought about enlarging the side windows some and potentially putting built in benches with pillows/cushions on both sides of the fireplace for additional seating. What do you think of this idea? Or do you have a better idea? Would filling in the large window and enlarging the 2 smaller windows currently on the side be a huge project?

I am open to any and all ideas! Thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Smith & Ragsdale Interior Design
    3 years ago

I like your ideas and yes it's a pretty big project as you will have to also deal with the exterior of facade of the home. It will make a huge difference though.

kcamp1980 thanked Smith & Ragsdale Interior Design
  • kcamp1980
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! Do you know what type of professional I should contact for this project? We have never taken on a project like this so we are bit nervous! I am hoping to get the scale of the fireplace/windows correct so that it looks like it was always meant to be this way. We do have a set of sliding glass doors to the left so that will give us a lot of light as well.

• threers
    3 years ago

Your wall is busy and does nothing for you. Before you spend lots of money : paint everything the color of your walls. Put doors on your shelves; the doors will hide all the stuff on the shelving; also remove the shelves over the side windows. These changes will simplify the whole look of your wall. Also please cover the light bulbs in your overhead fan; there are glass shades made just for this. Adding floor lamps or table lamps will also improve the look of your room .

kcamp1980 thanked threers
  • Snaggy
    3 years ago

I would have some stained glass in the arched window...

• PRO
    Smith & Ragsdale Interior Design
    3 years ago

I would hire a designer in your city and have a plan before you hire a contractor. The designer will draw out the specifics and help pick finish materials. A contractor will then be able to give you a more accurate bid.

kcamp1980 thanked Smith & Ragsdale Interior Design
  • PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    3 years ago

Below is an entertainment/fireplace area that we designed for a client. Notice the layout of the furniture and the shelving in the images.

High-End Residence · More Info

High-End Residence · More Info

kcamp1980 thanked Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

If I were you, I would keep the fireplace off-center and the TV lower on the right side. How easy is it going to be to remove the upper window and matching the outside? If it is straight forward, that I would do it. Remove the columns, if they are just decorative. Simplify the book case. Maybe tile around the firebox.

Hang a large piece of art in the center or do a gallery of art.

kcamp1980 thanked houssaon
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

Cover the window with something that looks like a shade. No need then yo maneuver the outside.

kcamp1980 thanked eld6161
Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.