mjotessie

1960's garrison colonial exterior need some help!

mjotessie
10 years ago
Our home was built in the 1960's. We did two additions. The front of the house is so disjointed and I think a front porch could bring everything together. Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I agree on the stone accents. I think you could clean up the landscaping a bit ( not too much). Maybe use a dual color paint on the trim and shutters to add a little punch. It is pretty sprawling at this point, would you actually use a big porch?
    mjotessie thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • mjotessie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The house faces west and has a beautiful view of mountains. I definitely would use a porch. The reason I'm thinking porch is that it could camouflage the overhang (by incorporating it into the roof of the porch). I thought about stone, but feel like it's adding on another whole layer that's not going to unify the front. Where would you suggest putting the stone?
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    I'm not qualified to say much about a porch or stone, and this is a bit of a flier because you may feel it is adding to the problem, but it seems to me that painting your shutters a different, lighter colour might help as it distinguishes between 'house' and 'roof'; to me it reads more coherently.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Oh dear, image didn't attach.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    And again. I'll try later.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Porch sounds like a wonderful addition to tie it all together.... (I have a very large front porch and love it). Have you looked at some designs for the cover?
    mjotessie thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Deep breath:
    mjotessie thanked Rina
  • mjotessie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've looked at lots of pictures and envision the top of the porch somewhere near the bottom of the upper windows and the ceiling part of the porch even with the over hang of the second floor. We would loose the current porch and the new porch would stretch from the left side of the house (facing the door) to just before the driveway. I'm thinking a depth of 10+ feet. Thoughts anyone?
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Can't help with porch, but front steps look like a gentle power wash would help. The tree in front (which doesn't show completely in poc) looks like a little limbing up would help.
    I agree with clean up landscape comment.
    Hopefully someone can chime in about your desired porch.
    mjotessie thanked Judy M
  • davidadietz
    10 years ago
    there's probably a pretty nice house under all that vinyl - there's lots of low maintenance clapboard and siding alternatives now. I'd suggest mixing a couple different textures and then add some nice stone or brick over the exposed concrete foundation. - new windows with mullions or maybe mullion kits for the windows and a paver driveway. Yeah i know, expensive suggestions.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.