norwega18

size and placement of art in bathrooms

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm considering getting an acrylic print of a photo, 20h 30w for both our new bathrooms. I haven't decided on the photos yet and will wait until the countertops are installed in a couple weeks. But we want to install the towel bars and hooks so need advice on their placement as well as whether the 20x30 print size is too large. We'll have 2 hooks for bath towels, a double towel bar for hand towel and wash cloth, and a ring type by the sink for guest towel. The photo with the vanity is the primary, the other is the hall bath which guests will use. (blue tape under the hooks notate where the bottom of a bath towel would end I think.

I can add another photo of the hall bath later with the toilet and vanity installed.

The newspaper would be the print, 20 x 30

Comments (9)

• 3 years ago

Your art placement looks too high, especially in the hall bath, but in the primary as well. Art should be hung at eye height - meaning your eyes should fall in the *middle* of the art.

norwega18 thanked Carrie B
  • 3 years ago

Who's eye level? A 5 foot person's? or a 6'4" person? Quite different.

norwega18 thanked Tara
  • 3 years ago

I'm 5'7" the hall bath art does fall at eye level for me.

• 3 years ago

57" is described as the "magic number" for hanging art. Measure from the floor to middle of art. Personally, I am a 60" kind of gal because most ceilings should be a rounded number as well. To me, the art does look a little high. Perhaps less so once you get the hardware up. However, if the art is significantly bigger than the hardware layout on the wall it definitely will look off. Have you thought about relocating the art and hardware to the toilet wall? That might create more balance in the space.

norwega18 thanked scordas
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think the rules are different in a bath since there tends to be a lot of other stuff on the walls. for example, the art in photo #3 looks like it's being placed above a towel bar. once that bar and towel are there, it will look balanced.

if it's just a small hand towel going there, maybe move both the art and the bar down a couple inches? you don't want to cover the TP though of course.

• 3 years ago

It looks a little high to me, too. I'm 5' 10" and the "center of art at eye level" guide has worked nicely for me. The center of the art should be about 60" from the floor. That would also include a grouping with the center of the entire grouping being 60" from the floor. That can change when art is hung over furniture. It shouldn't be "floating" too high on the wall with no connection to the furniture. That being said, I would hang it so it looks right to you.

• 3 years ago

"Who's eye level? A 5 foot person's? or a 6'4" person? Quite different."

I'm 5'3" and I live alone, so most of my art hangs so that the center of the work fall at around 60." If my 6' boyfriend and I ever live together, I'll probably split the difference.

I believe that 57" is standard "gallery height." That said, I have art in my home that is much lower, and some that is higher, depending on furniture and other features in my home. It's not a hard & fast rule, but it is a good rule of thumb.

norwega18 thanked Carrie B
  • 3 years ago

For the photo with the vanity, I'd put the artwork over the toilet.

norwega18 thanked shirlpp
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.