webuser_408408

Need help redecorating my 15 year old son!

Rocio Rodriguez de Perry
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
My son is now a teenager this is how his room looks like now, he likes the colors gray & black ...cant panit the walls @ this time...we are replacing twin beds for a full size bed & he also wants a Desk!!! Space y limited.

Comments (21)

• Emily H
    10 years ago
    Fun project! Does he have any special interests? (I ask because I have a son that age and he's obsessed with baseball.)
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Maybe you could just paint out the red molding and give him the gray and black he wants in the furniture and bedding.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Nice inspiration pics, rinqreation!
  • zedkman
    10 years ago
    Hi Rocio, I recently watched a show that had a bedroom makeover for a teenage boy. Space was an issue and the only instruction the son provided was that he wanted the room to be updated to reflect his age.
    The designer came up with the idea of having a fold away bed and a small desk by the window. So during the day there was plenty of room for study and using the space as he pleased and at night the bed would be pulled out (in the middle of the room and on either side of the bed was shelving) making it a good use of space. Tried finding a photo but wasn't able to.
    Hope this was useful.
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Ikea Beddinge Lovas . My son has it and he loves it.You can choose different color.
  • PRO
    JMKA | architects
    10 years ago
    attached is a room we did for a teenage boy- includes a sliding bookcase to the closet. a bunk bed- twin above and full below
  • BD PDL
    10 years ago
    You can try the following design.
  • billiesue14
    10 years ago
    I also encourage you to check out loft beds. Being able to use the space under the bed basically doubles the floor space. I wouldn't go with anything that converts from one thing to another like a futon unless it is in addition to a conventional bed. Changing it from one thing to another twice a day is entirely too much trouble.
  • bright77
    10 years ago
    Hi There! I noticed the guitar in the stand so why not hang the guitar on the wall as a piece of art (this saves floor space). You can buy small simple hooks made for this purpose & your son can simply take the guitar off the wall anytime he wants to play. A dark gray comforter would look nice with the existing blue on the wall. I do not suggest a black comforter as it will show dirt, pet hair, crumbs, etc. You could use the existing yellow pillows for a punch of color on his bed. I also encourage you to get your son involved in the process, his input will assure you a happy teenager in the end!
  • hollywaterfall
    10 years ago
    Grays and blacks are typical colors that interest teen boys. They can be made to look rather sleek and stylish with the right accents and organization. I would first lose the comforter and rug. There is WAY too much pattern mixing and matching in the current picture. How about this from JC Penney. http://www.jcpenney.com/hayden-8-pc-comforter-set/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002500648&cmvc=JCP|dept20000012|cat100250063|RICHREL&grView=&eventRootCatId=&currentTabCatId=&regId=

Then, a solid black rug. It will probably show a bit of dirt but the plus to that is he will learn how to vacuum and keep his room tidy.

This is an inspiration for how a patterned spread with a plain rug will look. I also like the arrangement of this room with the bookcases surrounding the bed.
  • denleach12
    10 years ago
    If you were eventually going to paint, I recommend painting one half of a wall with chalk board paint. I did with my sons room and he and his friends have lots of fun doodling and signing names. Also he's into snowboarding, so I used a old snowboard and mounted onto the wall as a shelf to place medals and trophies..
  • smanke
    10 years ago
    Shop IKEA. Great space saving ideas and you can add as you need things. Under the bed storage a great idea.
  • smanke
    10 years ago
    me again.. also use space under window either with a one shelf high bookcase or a bench.
  • zapper45701
    10 years ago
    If you can't paint the walls, you can stretch some fabric/canvas/whatever over some large frames and put them on the walls. (You buy canvas stretchers relatively cheaply at any art supply store, or go to your local lumber store and see about getting some one inch boards for rails. You will only lose an inch or two of depth in the room. You can paint/dye them whatever colors you wish. You can leave the regular wall color as an accent or add a special accent to the scheme. You can also change them or the color at relatively low cost.

Take your son with you and pick out something as an inspiration for the room design. It might be a painting, vase, rug, bedspread, whatever. Use it as the key to selecting colors, shapes, forms. Go to the second-hand stores and yard sales to help complete your decorating. (Sometimes you can even find old canvas frames for your walls, too.) If you are careful with your selections, I think you will be quite surprised at how well it works all the way around. In the beginning, less is more, is a good motto. You can always add to the collection as you and he "age" with it.
  • PRO
    Oopsy Daisy, Fine Art for Kids
    10 years ago
    Sounds like a really fun project! We definitely agree that getting your son involved will really make his room feel extra-personal to him. Our teen and young adult wall decor line has tons of different styles from artists all over the world. Wheatpaste Art Collective offers Posters that Stick (super affordable fine art in wall decal form), Stretched Canvas, Letter Decals for personalizing with text, and huge adhesive Wall Murals. Here are a few suggestions for your son, but please check out the site if we haven't quite nailed his style! You can search by themes, price, artist, etc for easier navigation: www.wheatpaste.com
    Images below: "Vinyl Killer" http://www.wheatpaste.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=vinyl+killer&x=-1251&y=-127 "Future is Bright" http://www.wheatpaste.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=future+is+bright&x=-1251&y=-127 and "Practice Makes Awesome" http://www.wheatpaste.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=practice+makes+awesome&x=-1251&y=-127
  • Vince Cannava_II
    10 years ago
    thought we were actually redecorating her son.. nevermind. false alarm.
  • Beth Wray
    10 years ago
    For a teenage boy, I would go industrial. There are some great metal and recycled wood beds, bookcases, lockers, etc. out there. Try Craigslist and import stores like Nadeau for solid furniture that is also sophisticated and affordable. Love the "guitar as art" idea. Or album covers on the wall in a grid, now that vinyl is back in vogue.
  • calidesign
    10 years ago
    We got a great desk from Ikea for our son, with metal legs and a white melamine top, so it wiped clean regardless of what he left on it.
  • PRO
    Ahh! Products Bean Bag Chairs
    10 years ago
    If he decides he wants a bean bag, here's a tip: you can make the footprint of the bean bag a little smaller by pushing up against a corner or against the bed to take up a little less space. We sell bean bags for tiny room a lot, it seems to encourage reading if you can manage to fit one in their bedrooms.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.