piaa

Cheaper substitute for Walker Zanger (by $40 ft2) - would you do it ?

piaa
3 years ago

We really like Walker ZangerCafe Milk Gloss tile however each tile is running $10.93 so $43.72 per square foot. Yesterday I found a tile at Floor and Decor which to me looks exactly the same except the Walker Zanger is 9.25mm thick and the cheaper one is 8mm thick however the one at Floor and Decor it is only $0.89 per tile (so $3.56 per square foot) so my question is would you do it?

Attached is a photo of the two tiles - one is the Walker Zanger and one the cheaper one (they are different sizes but I’m not going to tell you which is which lol) - both are made in Spain and both are ceramic.

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations for a good quality tile similar to the Cafe Milk Gloss (maybe something between $0.89 and $10.93 haha) that they recommend I would love to know.

Thank you everyone and happy holidays !

Comments (30)

• Fori
    3 years ago

You know that stone test you do for counters to be sure you don't end up with one that doesn't etch or stain too much? Do it to the tile. See how it holds up to mild abuse.

I'd have no problems using cheap tile on a backsplash if it looked good. BUT! it may be difficult to install if it is a little bit irregular, so that's an additional thing to check and see if you (or your installer) is up to it.

Looks like one of your tiles is prone to chipping. Probably not a big deal on a backsplash because they won't get much wear there, but it would be bad if they all came out of the box like that.

And glazed vs unglazed sides/edges (looks like they differ maybe) can yield a slightly different look AND make grouting more or less challenging.

piaa thanked Fori
  • Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

Regardless of which one is which, I am not fond of long skinny tiles for backsplash. The look is already a bit dated in my area (I realize that could be regional), but setting that aside, I don’t find that pattern attractive, especially over the long run since you will be living with it for years.

• piaa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Shannon but I only asked if you would use the tile.

As mentioned, the tiles are samples (one is Walker Zanger and one the cheaper version from Floor and Decor) and they are to show how similar they are (I did not mention I am using the 3"x12" tile) so my question is, would you use the cheaper tile and do you think you can tell the difference in the photos taking the size out of the equation ?

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

The bottom tile does have chips, but otherwise hard to tell the difference in your pic so I’d go with the less expensive.

• ceilsan32
    3 years ago

Before commiting, why not research the less expensive tile company, from other consumer's perspectives. If you don't find many reviews to your liking, I'd keep looking for another alternative. Have you visited a large number of tile showrooms and bathroom contractors who may have it in stock, for viewing? You can always see who might sell it to you, directly, if that is your preference. As stated above, tile setting can require a great deal of practice and skill to insure no leaks, no uneven strips, etc.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would always use the longer tile, unless you want more of a casual farmhouse type of kitchen.

have you looked at other 'handmade' look tiles?

I can see spotty glazing on the edges on this one. Don't know if it's because you're knocking it around.

looks like this installed

both of these photos are WZ milk gloss, this one is the Cafe':

Have you seen this one from Tilebar?

https://www.tilebar.com/manchester-bianco-3x12-ceramic-tile.html

Home Depot carries them as Birmingham, Ivy Hill

see if you can grab some samples here

https://www.tilebar.com/shop-by-colors-now/white.html

• Kathryn Palm
    3 years ago

If the materials are the same and one is imported and the other not, some of the price difference can probably be attributed to the import costs. They are both ceramic so they should probably both wear well. The inconsistencies in the edges are part of the look. I would absolutely go for it with the less expensive tile, because the tastes of the people in Shannon from Wisconsin’s subdivision notwithstanding, you probably will want to change it up 10-15 years down the road anyway. It will be way lore traumatic if you pay $40 a square foot.

• Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

“one is the Walker Zanger and one the cheaper one (they are different sizes but I’m not going to tell you which is which lol) - both are made in Spain and both are ceramic.”

@piaa - sorry, when you made the above statement, I mistook it to mean that the different sizes were part of your decision between the two manufacturers.

“Shannon from Wisconsin’s subdivision notwithstanding”

@Kathryn Palm - were you referring to me? If so, you made wrong assumptions.

(As a sidebar, what is going on with this forum lately? It has been really noticeable the last couple months. Even posters I have “known” for years who always provided great advice have changed.)

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    3 years ago

If you were my client, I would require more than a photo to advise regarding your selection. I want my hands on it and I need to know the source and the expected variances. I would also explain the labor hours required if the installation requirements might vary from one tile selection to the next. And I would advise regarding lighting impact, layout given the format, grout choices etc. Think not just about the aesthetic of the uninstalled tile itself, but the execution for a professional result. Talk with your professional installer and get their thoughts.

• tg92064
    3 years ago

My guess is the smaller one is more expensive

• salonva
    3 years ago

I can't really tell anything from the photos, but if they look so interchangeable and not so different up close and personal, guess what I would do.

Let me think; $10.93 or .89.

.89 winner winner.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    3 years ago

There are literally too many versions of a "hand made" tile; at all price points. Go to a good tile showroom and see. Select which color of white looks best to you.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

After one kitchen reno, I can totally tell you that yes, I would go with the cheaper one and I'd put the difference saved on lighting.

• Kathryn Palm
    3 years ago

Yes Shannon WI, I was referring to your comment that these types of tiles are already thought of as dated
    in your area. I thought that was an unnecessarily judgmental statement that didn’t have anything to do with answering the OP’s question and also a little hilarious that other the Frank Lloyd Wright Wisconsin is not really the cutting edge of design.

• Kathryn Palm
    3 years ago

And this entire exchange has reminded me why I stopped contributing to this forum.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Looks close enough to me, and I'm assuming this is not going on a floor.

You pay a lot for the WS logo IMO.

• chispa
    3 years ago

And WZ doesn't manufacture tile ... they mostly rename stuff they get from tile manufacturers or have some exclusive patterns/designs done by tile manufacturers to sell under the WZ label.

• castlebari
    3 years ago

Go with what you love. I love a deal, and so the lesser expensive of the two would hold great charm for me. Lol...

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

What dragonfly said. I can not stress strongly enough about getting your tile pros weigh in.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO we need to know where it is going then maybe that will help. I do think some things are dated but long subway tiles more of a design choice than anything else, but I will say the look of the long subway tiles is a more contemporaryu look and those tiles you psted look handmade so not really that look IMO. If this is for backspalsh save the money and get the look.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Getting back to the original question: if something looks similar to a very high priced product, that would be the item I discuss with my installer. There is no need to pay the high price for something that another product mimics well. A backsplash is the safest place to make that less expensive choice, but discuss with a pro as to the installation challenges.
    Having said that, I would worry about the glaze quality if a sample is chipping so quickly. Tiles need to be ordered very early so you can open them and get replacements of broken ones or your project will be profoundly delayed.

• PRO
    Walker Zanger
    3 years ago

Hello @piaa,

We saw your post and wanted to reach and let you know. Our Cafe Collection in 3 x 12 Milk Gloss is actually $10.35 per SF. If you have any questions or need any further assistance please don't hesitate to reach out to a Sales Associate. You can contact us at (818) 280-8300

https://www.walkerzanger.com/ceramic/cafe/field-1cafmil312.html

piaa thanked Walker Zanger
  • PRO
    Walker Zanger
    3 years ago

Hi @chispa,

We actually have our own factory where we manufacture a lot of our tiles. You can read about it more on our website. https://www.walkerzanger.com/handmade

• piaa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for your replies and taking the time to respond and @User that is perfect - we will definitely be using at that price !

• chispa
    3 years ago

I did a large bathroom with all WZ tiles about 6 years ago (about $25K worth of tile) so I know that it was not made by WZ! I even personally know a WZ manager!

My point was that many of the WZ branded tiles are not made by them and can be sourced elsewhere, you just have to do some searching. The tile business and its distribution channels are quite convoluted!

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

I have so much I want to say, but want to phrase it correctly. Maybe it deserves its own post. Anyone can post an opinion, but do we believe the OP can sort out and filter the responses herself? We do. We believe the OP can do that, without other forum members berating and mocking another responder, especially one who has been helpful to others here, for so long. That's what we believe.

But to answer the OPs question, I would err on the side of saving money. It's a neutral backsplash, and if the tiles look like a good match to you, I'm sure it will turn out great. I like that look, whichever size you choose.

• ericakn
    3 years ago

We used that cafe tile in blue in our shower a few years ago! Love it and at that time it was running $8ish per sq ft.

• Kathryn Palm
    3 years ago

Ms S,
    thanks Mom

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

I would reach out to Walker Zanger now that they came onto your post.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.