n129tepper

Best sink size for 8ft island?

n129tepper
3 years ago

New kitchen remodel - island is 8ft x 4ft. Right now I’m thinking 18 inch trash, 30 inch sink cabinet, 24 inch dishwasher and 24 inch wine fridge.

My concern is how big of a sink can I get in the 30inch cabinet and will it be large enough? I can always reduce the wine fridge down to 18 and pick up 6 more inches for the sink. But then I worry will it be too big on the island?

So... What’s an ideal sink size for an 8ft island?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

The cabinet size dictates the sink size so what sink do you like if that is the big issue then choose the sink and get the cabinet you need to fit the sink. No one can tell you what you need . I like a 24” single bowl sink but I have 2 back to back in my island. You need to share a bit more info.

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago

is this your main sink? assuming you will center it in the island then? I believe you would need a 36" cabinet for 30"-33" sink. I think 27" is max for 30" cabinet [check specs on the sink you are considering]...

I have a 4x8 island but a prep sink on the island. it is off center towards one side.

• n129tepper
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is my main sink. And ideally I’d like the sink no less than 30inches. I was concerned that it would be too big for the island but I don’t think it will be. Then the issue is how big a cabinet does it need because if the sink cabinet goes over 30 inches I will need to reduce elsewhere (likely my wine fridge!).

• Brittany Dumontier
    3 years ago

Go with a larger sink cabinet to fit 30” sink! You will still have plenty of counter space if that’s your concern. My current house has 26” sink for the 30” cabinet which is okay but a bigger sink would be better. Currently building now and putting 30” sink in my island which is similar dimensions to yours

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

30" won't be too big for the island, but you want it situated so that you have at least 36" prep space to one side, preferably not over the DW--unless you have a prep sink elsewhere. (36" is the minimum recommended by the NKBA). IIRC, Joseph Corlett, a countertop repair pro, has said a 30" sink will fit in a 30" cabinet. You might direct a question to him, or ask the question in the title of a different thread.

• PRO
    Attleboro Kitchen and Bath
    3 years ago

If you were the type of person who uses a double bowl sink to wash on one side and dry on the other, for example, then yes, go for a 36" base and a larger sink. If not, I think you'll be fine with a 30" sink base and a single bowl sink if you use a D shaped sink. It will give you ample space to wash and what-not and it will not overpower the island. The D shaped bowl is larger front to back so it gives more room than a traditional rectangle single bowl. Good Luck!

• Deana
    2 years ago

@n129tepper - What size sink did you decide on? I’ll have the same size 8‘x4’ foot island, so I was planning on going with a 30” inch sink. That seems plenty big to me.

• n129tepper
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Deana I ended up with a 33” inch base cabinet. I haven’t purchased the sink yet but it will be 30”

• n129tepper
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much. do you suggest that because you think 30 will be too small?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.