rbwill504

10 x 12 Bathroom Layout

rbwill504
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi All,

We're currently in the process of designing our new home. The primary suite will have his/hers bathrooms. The proposed layout for the "hers" bath is pictured. I would love to have a larger shower but am a bit stumped on layout. I would love any suggestions you have. Note: the closet space can be reconfigured as well.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

"The primary suite will have his/hers bathrooms. . . I would love any suggestions you have."

Marriage counseling?

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago

If you are stuck on the bathroom layout, you might want to post the entire plan along with elevations for review.

• rbwill504
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, but it’s just this one little corner Im looking to move around. Any ideas?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Okay, with an answer like my first comment I owe you a legitimate answer. Consider this concept:

And . . .

WARNING: Posting your entire floor plan opens you up to facts you may not want to know, but should. Be prepared for suggestions that will make for a better design. Keep a thick skin, open mind, sense of humor, and a glass of wine within arms reach. You may not enjoy it, but everyone else will and you will be better off in the long run if you heed well the advice.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

I think it's brilliant to have separate bathrooms. Regarding the size of the shower, mine is 4 x 6 with a clipped corner, and feels very big and comfortable. That's only a few inches bigger than what you have drawn there, so I think it will be comfortable, especially since you're probably not planning to have 2 people in it at the same time. If you decide you want it to be bigger, you can gain some inches by switching the stand alone tub to a drop-in with a deck surround. Free standing tubs actually take up more room than drop-ins bc you need ample free space around it for cleaning. My drop-in tub is 60" long and that length plus 6" on either end for decking equals a total of 72", 6 feet. Even if you wanted more decking than that, you can definitely come in at less that 8' there and could use the extra inches for the shower.

What is the purpose of the extra area to the right of the closet? Do you really need that to be arranged like that? You have to do a little jog to get into the bathroom which I really wouldn't want to do in the middle of the night. I'd put a regular door into the bathroom along the 10'8" wall. And then you just need to decide if you want to enter the closet from the bedroom or from the bathroom and put one door into it.

rbwill504 thanked AJCN
  • rbwill504
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for this! Wow, so much more open.

I was thinking posting the entire plan would annoy people since I was only asking for help w this one area. But I will post if it means I can get more great feedback.

PS: Your 1st comment is hilarious. When young couples ask me what’s the secret to our happy marriage (20+ years) we always say “separate bathrooms.” Lol! Thanks again.

• rbwill504
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@AJCN Thanks so much for the suggestions! That little vestibule area was just a dressing space with large mirror; it doesn’t have to be situated that way. Moving the door closer to the bed makes a lot of sense for mid-night bathroom visits.

Thanks again!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

In my first marriage separate bathrooms would have worked if they were in separate States.

(hope she's not reading this)

• PRO
    Avant Garde, LLC
    3 years ago

I love Mark’s layout above; if you’re open to AJCN’s suggestion of entering the bathroom between the vanity and tub, I’d do that. Those two combined seem like the perfect solution.

rbwill504 thanked Avant Garde, LLC
  • AJCN
    3 years ago

Mash up:

rbwill504 thanked AJCN
  • PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

Really like the indirect entry to bathroom. (IMHO, direct entry from bedroom to bathroom seem too much like hospital rooms.)

rbwill504 thanked MDLN
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

You could introduce a door to separate the ante space from the bedroom so you could use the bathroom and closet without disturbing your husband sleeping in bed. This would also preserve wall space in the bedroom.

• rbwill504
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone! We are moving forward with your suggestions. As soon as the rest of this level is confirmed, I’ll post for your feedback. Very helpful.

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

On the revised plan, think of which way you will sit in the tub. Nothing like sitting in a freestanding soaking tub, laying your head back to relax, and staring right at the front of your toilet. Luckily, it won't be as messy since the caveman, er, your husband, won't be using it. Start over.

rbwill504 thanked 3onthetree
  • rbwill504
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Alright, folks: here are the 1st and 2nd floor layouts. They're in rough/draft phase. The overall footprint has to remain this way due to lot size/setback restrictions.

• rbwill504
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@3onthetree lol! Funny - I thought the same at first. I wasn't going to put a tub (I'm a shower person) but figured since the space is available...

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.