rubberduckie

getting natural light into a single storey extension

rubberduckie
3 years ago

I’m planning to build a single storey rear extension for my terrace and would like to get more natural light in. I am trying to avoid using skylights (have heard too many horror stories of leaks) and solar tunnels (no expertise in tunnel installation in my area).
I am thinking of doing a ‘stepped’ metal roof design which allows placement of a row of letterbox windows. This hopefully will allow more light to spill in.
The length of my extension will be around 7 meters wall to wall.

Comments please.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Designed Design Associates (DDA)
    3 years ago

hey there, is it a good alternative. If the site condition permits, i would suggest to have a higher/ taller opening to ensure a good source of light into the space. The amount of light source you will get also depends on the orientation of the house. i.e. if its a East & West direction, you will be able to get optimum light source streaming into the room at certain time of the day. However, if its a North South facing, then it will likely be a " light-split". hope this is useful.

• rubberduckie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the advice!
    I just realized these are called clerestory windows, my bad. My place is N-S facing but I’m located at the equator. What’s a ‘light-split’?

• PRO
    Designed Design Associates (DDA)
    3 years ago

my bad, meant to say " Light - Slit", like a strip of light/ a glow. Being E-W facing, you have a better chance of catching the light steaming further into the room during sunrise and sunset.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.