johnfrwhipple

Is that a Style Drain from California Faucets?

By Any Design Ltd.
10 years ago
Hope Terrace Edinburgh · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Serenity Bathrooms
    10 years ago
    The waste gully in this re-fit was a square McAlpine tile over wet room drain, they also do a tile over linear drain which we have used in a number of re-fits.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Have you encountered any "Air Locks" with this tile insert drain? Over the years we have had problems with this type of drain - Luxe and My Shower Grate Shop being the suppliers.

I'll look into this supplier more closely. Thank You.
  • PRO
    Serenity Bathrooms
    10 years ago
    We have only had one instance of this trap not operating correctly, the trap which has a flow rate of 32 litres/min or around 7 imperial gallons a minute, will handle all showers, unless you have a something extraordinary. The waste pipe that was already installed (which we stupidly connected to), was an 1.5" waste that had been installed, it ran more or less level under the floor and we had just connected to this waste system, it did not have a proper gradient (10%) to allow the waste water to flow, we had to open up the floor (ouch) and investigated the problem further, what had happened was that their waste pipe had no supports and had bent slightly further along the pipe in an adjoining bedroom, what you end up with is a double trap which in effect air locks the system. plunging the waste will force the air past the second trap in the system and your shower may flow for a while before it backs up again. If you are able to remove the trap part of your gully and have good access to the waste pipe from there, you may be able to attach a piece of hose pipe sealed with a cloth around the pipe and blow down it, you should feel no resistance of any kind, if there is some back pressure, it is definitely the waste pipework that is at fault. I hope this may be of some help.

Kind Regards

Tom Halliday
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.