houzzerpolls

POLL: Dream backyard feature?

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
If you could create your dream backyard, what is the #1 feature you would include?

Vote for your favorite backyard feature and COMMENT BELOW WITH HOW YOU USE YOUR OUTDOOR SPACE OR, LET US KNOW YOUR FAVORITE SUMMER ACTIVITY to be entered to win a pair of Houzz slippers sent right to your door!

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 8/25/13. One winner will be drawn at random.
Fire Pit
Built in Bar & Grill
Outdoor Shower
Swimming Pool
Hot Tub
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (600)

• Anitra Daley
    10 years ago
    We are in the process of buying our first home and while the yard is huge its also has no real direction we would live some help making it a outdoor sanctuary.
  • tyggerzmom
    10 years ago
    I would like a pond with a waterfall. And, maybe a seating area built around it.
  • houzzhome
    10 years ago
    Half of my backyard does not get enough sun which means grass does not do well. Kids would enjoy bocce ball alley, basketball hoop and a small organic vegetable garden on our tiered slope - keeping in mind we have hungry raccoons, skunks, squirrels, gofers, abound.
  • chefjade
    10 years ago
    All of the above?
  • skantola
    10 years ago
    My yard is not huge, but a pool would be my dream. Fire pit and hot tub are second
  • Sara Santiso
    10 years ago
    Would love to put a pool in our backyard. We have the space but I dread the thought of months of construction.
  • stylingranny
    10 years ago
    Had a pool, and it was great - a resort at home. However, the pool-and-yard help grew up and got on with their lives, so now we are in little patio home. Some kind of dedicated prep and serve area would be ideal, instead of toting everything from the kitchen and back.
  • mcdonam
    10 years ago
    Without hesitation, an in-ground pool would make my dream come true! My family is very active with soccer. Our children, 6 & 8 have amazing energy and have been asking for a pool. I want to be the house they and their friends want to be at...I can only imagine what memories we could make!
  • Beverley Bergman
    10 years ago
    I have worked very hard to create my own garden paradise which does NOT include a pool and all the hard work it takes to maintain it. I love intimacy and a feeling of being in touch with nature - lots of beautiful shrubs, flowers, birds, butterflies! My husband and I truly enjoy entertaining in our backyard with family BBQ's, dinners with friends, etc. We are able to take deep breaths and relax in our garden. During the winter we count the hours until we're back in the yard with lots of company!
  • PRO
    Comforts of Home
    10 years ago
    Screened back porch:)
  • Joaquin Erazo
    10 years ago
    I was hoping for an "all of the above" button!
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    Congratulations to JAC Design for winning our Dream Backyard Feature poll! If you missed out on this one, you still have a chance to win on our Style Poll! There's still a few days left, put in your comments now!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-whats-your-style-dsvw-vd~619482
  • Spencer Betz
    10 years ago
    susanmarie4 .... I'm going to your house! And, I'll bring the wine, pine needles AND bark!
  • Alison O’Neill
    10 years ago
    Adirondack chairs, birdbath, herb pots and ready to plant flowering colour. I'm loving my courtyard garden on the first day of spring!!
  • designideas4me
    10 years ago
    spring? where do you live?
  • PRO
    Holgan Land Surveying, PC
    10 years ago
    Oh how I wish it were the first day of spring where I live, instead this weekend is officially the last weekend in our summer season. We've had a wonderful spring and summer renovating our inground swimming pool originally installed in the 80's, and turning our property into a true respite. Still finishing our "backyard awakening" finally after almost 30 years! Feel very Blessed
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I'm thrilled with the fountains my husband installed in the garden along the pool's waters edge. And we also had what we call " a volcano" installed by our pool contractor in the floors center of the shallow end. Its a blower, that makes the water very turbulent.. which turns the pool into similiar to a jacuzzi . We have a gas heater and love keeping the water at a consistant temp of 85.. some times warmer.. it's wonderful. Our yard for all the years we were here.. since the middle 80's has really been a mess.. and it seemed there were always other priorities,..Many people have a long term plan when it comes to their property, and yes.. that is the smartest way to achieve a beautiful yard that suits ones own individual needs and also easier on the pocket book. But because we never took the action, but had the vision for a long time.. we decided to take the dreams,,visions and nearly 30 years worth of them, and begin and complete our whole property in 4 seasons. ..We started in the fall of last year, having to put a few weeks on hold because of super storm sandy and completed our pool at the end of october. Then in the spring we had all our paving done, and then the fun part started for my husband and me. We met with 3 different landscapers, and realized that we were not going to be satisfied with what they planned on doing for ALOT of money so we have done it all ourselves from design to choosing the plantings, creating the beds and having many yards of soil and sweet pete delivered.. it has been so very satisfying. We created beds all along the perimeter, fence line which had nothing but fencing and is now beautiful with Leyland Cypress, Criptimeria , Cedars, Crepe Myrtles, skip Laurels. As well as making "living rooms" where we can decide at the moment what setting we feel like experiencing. In one corner is a "reflection room" where we can sit a reflect on our day and all that we are grateful for.. I can't think of any place else that I'd rather be..I love my property. and feel so calm as soon as I come into my yard.My husband is a Land Surveyor and works so hard.. it gives me such joy to see him enjoying something that he has worked so hard for. I have a wonderful self contained infra red heat sauna for my Massage Therapy practice.. by the end of the fall, we will be installing an outdoor, hot/cold shower and deciding where we can work the sauna into our property.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    below is a before and after. In the before picture, you can see where the kayaks are is where the waters edge garden and jets are...
  • thewhovian2000
    10 years ago
    I would want to have one of those pools with special features
  • willieboy10
    10 years ago
    since we are building a house in Oregon right now and we are getting record rain fall we currently have a mud pit and nature made swimming pool, we use our out door space for relaxing with friends and family so right now any or all of the above would be great
  • karelina
    10 years ago
    A new pond for my koi with a waterfall and something to keep them safe from the ##$^$%%^*@* raccoons!
  • Karrah R
    9 years ago
    All of the above!
  • viviandr
    9 years ago
    I want a swim spa 4.5' deep.
  • viviandr
    9 years ago
    I want a swim spa 5' deep
  • Barbara Roe
    9 years ago
    What an amazing idea and you must be enjoying that since you finally got it done.
  • silversparrow
    9 years ago
    an outdoor cooking area...entertain a lot and have a beautiful hilltop with lovely breezes
  • yananlin15
    9 years ago
    To swim!!!
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    a small waterfall and pond
    More project photos. Please see us at classicnursery.com for more info · More Info
  • rickinvancouver
    9 years ago
    My "other" backyard priority? Stunning night lighting in a Japanese garden, accompanied by a stunning fire "wall" and great, new Age music. And friends/lovers, of course!
  • honeyfieldsgraincompany
    9 years ago
    Screened porch, secret garden, and beautifully lighted landscape (just a few up-lights for bushes and trees, and lights up in a couple of trees for moonlight effect).
  • willieboy10
    9 years ago
    still building our house but it's getting closer we have gas ready to go for outdoor built-in bbq and is wired for a hot tub but what I would really love is for someone to come landscape our yard before the rains come otherwise we will have a mud pit:-(
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    California says pool!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Not to be greedy, but I want 'em all!!!! :) I think outdoor shower is at the top of the list. Sounds great to me. :)
  • Paul N
    8 years ago

I would really like a fire pit and a hot tub. As I get older the more aches and pains I get, so a nice soak in a hot tub with a drink would be nice. And on nice nights a good beer or drink by a fire is very relaxing.

Pools are a pain; they are expensive to build, and require a lot of maintenance; and up here in Wisconsin the window for using them is short. The same goes for the outdoor shower.

Backyard bar and grills are nice, but expensive for my middle income life. I'll take just a grill to cook on; I can pop into the kitchen to make drinks and have a cooler or galvanized tub full of ice to keep beer in.

• Pat
    8 years ago

I agree with Paul N ... my income is that of Disability, so very limited! A nice fire pit and a Jacuzzi would BE a dream for my back yard! And, he's right - the older one gets, the more aches and pains and a Jacuzzi would be ideal therapy - 'warm water aquatics' with jets doing the massaging! =)

• beckysimpson1
    8 years ago

I would love to have a small studio/guest home in my yard.

• PRO
    K&N Appliance Gallery
    8 years ago

A backyard kitchen and grill would be awesome! Especially for holidays such as 4th of July when the whole family is over!

Danver Outdoor Kitchen · More Info

• Chantal M
    8 years ago
    All but bar and shower
  • PRO
    Billiard Factory
    8 years ago

A backyard bar and grill would be great for entertaining guests. You could even add a TV to host a watch party for your favorite team!

• Jill
    8 years ago
    Is all of the above an option? We're just starting to design our dream home in a very hot atea of Eastern WA (the state). A pool is on our must have list along with a great outdoor living space. Granted my ideas are way bigger than our budget. 2nd on the list would be the outdoor kitchen.
  • Lucy W
    8 years ago

a family garden and lots of trees to climb and put swings on!

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    8 years ago

outdoor shower is really nice

• Summer Rain
    8 years ago
    I would be in that pool daily
  • sabra900
    8 years ago
    I want to save the outdoor bbq pic but can't...where do I find it?
  • PRO
    Accolade Construction
    8 years ago
    Tough decision but since entertaining family and friends is a primary function of our space I voted for the built in bar and grill but pool and hot tub were both tied for second. Here in California, because of the drought, it is almost blasphemous to think about large water usage.
  • ____r
    8 years ago
    All of them
  • PRO
    Alpha Wellness Sensations
    7 years ago

Definitely a private wellness center.

• PRO
    Alpha Wellness Sensations
    7 years ago

Definitely a private wellness center.

• Hossein Saki
    6 years ago
    Japanese garden
  • PRO
    Gialluisi Custom Homes
    6 years ago

A dream backyard would probably have all the features you mentioned :)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.