jaci_martin

Awkward living room/den area combo - help with colors and layout?

J M
2 years ago

Hi there!

I'm moving into a new rental house this weekend, which means I can't touch the floors unfortunately - however I can paint whatever I'd like. :) The main living area opens into a side den area. I am thinking I want place our lounge area - couch seating, tv etc - in the den space and have the fireplace side open as more of a desk/mini seating area. The kitchen area that is beyond the doorway is going to be a neutral off-white with the dining area (which is visible from the den side) using an olive green shade (picking up samples from Benjamin later today). I love the traditional eclectic style and yellows, golds, greens, sages - I was thinking maybe going Benjamin Moore simply sage in this area? Would that clash with a darker green in the dining room?

Anyone have any recommendations for colors or a different layout option that would maximize this weird space while drawing attention to those beautiful plantation shutters and remediating the awkward split flooring issue? Perhaps lots of rugs? Help, I'm a teacher and while I typically have no problem making decisions, my brain is fried after a year of pandemic teaching!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Looks just fine and classic to me. I would add color using art and accessories.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would like the main room for the TV to be with the fireplace.

Other room for chairs and maybe a desk

Choose a color sofa you love, then build upon it by adding some of that color and using contrasting other colors. Choose some large artwork with the colors you like.

Sofa pillow patterns of color for your sofa and/or chairs.

• Jennifer K
    2 years ago

What colours are your upholstered furniture? That will dictate what colour your walls can be. Like you, I'm a fan of that colour palette. But in a small space like an apartment, I'd keep to one colour per contiguous space (not separated by doors), and the same value (regardless of the colour) throughout. That will allow the space to be calmer. If the existing carpet doesn't fit your vision, you'll need rugs to cover it. Persians are classic and go with almost anything.

• acm
    2 years ago

Dont worry about the divided floor, as long as you divide your functional groupings in the same way. That is, ok to use the smaller zone as your TV room, but only if all the furniture for that fits on that side of the walkway. Otherwise, put the TV on the wall to the right of the fireplace, and set up your seating arrangement in an L to encompass both (and maybe an extra chair or two for visitors). Then the "den" makes a natural office, etc., and you have plenty of seating in the larger space for hanging out or conversation.

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    2 years ago

You might be able to do a set up similar to this with the den area:

MacDougal Manor · More Info

And perhaps something like this where the fireplace is? You could potentially add a desk to one side as well.

Chelsea Loft Live/Work Space · More Info

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.