denadickinson

Why choose metal and shingles for roofing, rather than all metal?

denadickinson
2 years ago
I'm curious as to whether this was purely for aesthetic reasons, or whether there were other considerations, such as cost or cell-phone reception.
The Village at Hendrix · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Bret Franks Construction, Inc.
    2 years ago

The reason that metal is on the porch roof section is due to its low pitch. Metal with a water proof membrane does a better job, rather than typical composite shingles, of guaranteeing that water does not penetrate the roof decking in snow and ice conditions.
    And yes, I’m certain that the intent would have been to roof the entire home with metal if the budget would have been larger. The 1-1/4” standing seam that we use is about 3 times more expensive than typical composite shingles.
    Bret Franks

denadickinson thanked Bret Franks Construction, Inc.
  • denadickinson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bret, thanks, and I want you to know this house has been my inspiration from the very beginning (many years ago), when I hadn't even known it was in Arkansas. I was delighted to see it in person when my kid went to Hendrix.

• PRO
    MSiegel Design
    2 years ago

Dena,

Feel free to knock on our door next time you're in town. We're always happy to offer a tour.

Melanie Siegel

denadickinson thanked MSiegel Design
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.