sarmad_qadri

NYC prewar bathroom renovation - keep the tub?

Sarmad Qadri
2 years ago

I am doing a gut renovation of a prewar apartment in UWS, and I need to decide whether to keep the original tub. I love it, but the plumber and super are recommending I replace it because the drain is rotting.
I want to know if I should heed their advice, or if there's a way to update the plumbing/drain while keeping the tub?
Apparently I'll need an exposed full 2” triple lever tub waste for a double wall (apron) bathtub. Has anyone kept their tub but updated their plumbing? Where did you get the plumbing from?
Hoping the Houzz community can help!

Comments (16)

• Jennifer Shull
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Have u done the renovation? if so how did it go?

If no How expensive is it to replace the tub and plumbing vs just replacing the plumbing?

I would keep the tub if u I could and just replace the plumbing.

I would not replace a tub or plumbing myself I would have a plumber and whoever works on tubs and showes replace the plumbing and tub.

• roarah
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

we had access to my 1920 corner tub drain from a closet and were able to replace the drain! White‘s plumbing in West Haven ct was such a help with the parts.

I have similar cross rosetts too!

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Here's hoping you can keep that whole bathroom. It's gorgeous.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

I was abe to get some unusual vintage plumbing parts from DEA bath in California

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

I also hope you can keep that gorgeous tub. I wish I had one like it.

• Karen
    2 years ago

You may think me crazy, but I say keep the tub if you can and keep all but the toilet and shower bars above the tub. Seems like a new coat of paint and new or cleaned grout will go a long way. So many of the items in this bath are just gorgeous and need some TLC.

• lynne3450
    2 years ago

Please post photos as your renovation comes along. What a gem of a property! Congrats!

• PRO
    PIATRAONLINE
    2 years ago

You should definitely keep the bathtub. To beautify the space, you can add color accents with natural stone. Can t wait to see the final result. <3

• J J
    2 years ago

That is a DREAM bathtub in a dream bathroom! If an apartment doesnt have a tub, I wont even consider it. But that there is the kind if bathroom a renter like me would make a lot of concessions for. (I live in NYC). Sounds like you were able to salvage it, thank god. Please dont ever change that bathroom!

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

keep it all

• Anna Devane
    2 years ago

Beautiful bathroom Keep what you can

• Sam Pottash
    last year

Hi, I love this. What do you use to attach a shower head to your curtain rod? I live in a similar prewar setup and we have a window that won't accept our suction cup shower head holder in the winter cold.

• ci_lantro
    last year

Sam, it looks like that 'curtain rod' is actually a water pipe doing dual duty. Note the two sets of faucet handles on the wall. I'm assuming one set controls the tub filler and the other set controls the shower head.

• PRO
    Peek Photography
    last year

im thinking of gutting my prewar bathroom and like you want to keep the tub. can you post after photos?

• cpartist
    last year

Peek Photography, start a new thread and post your bathroom with why you want to gut it.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.