poppophouse

Navy Kitchen - just a fad ?

poppophouse
2 years ago

Loving the dramatic look of the navy kitchens that seem to be so poular at the moment but wondering if they're just another fashion fad. Doing our kitchen next year but planning it now. Won't be splashing the cash - going with Howdens, as we'll be moving/retiring in 3-5 years time so does it really matter ?! Its a large room 7m square , walls will be white, one whole wall will be sliding doors onto garden which is west facing,so there's lots of light . Anyone gone with navy and loving it ?

Comments (13)

• Lynsey
    2 years ago

I love the dark blue and navy kitchens. They’ve been around for a while now - I’m a larger space maybe you could contrast with some units in a lighter colour? Eg light grey on wall units/navy on under counter ones? Or a navy island. I think as long as you have enough light and keep your worktops a lighter colour it will look great. Howdens do a really nice midnight blue.

poppophouse thanked Lynsey
  • Jonathan
    2 years ago

You should have what you want because there is no way to predict the next people taste.

For what it’s worth I think blue kitchen have peaked, in my humble opinion blue and white looks nautical and personally I think dark green or black is more in vogue.

poppophouse thanked Jonathan
  • poppophouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jonathan - my second choice would be black . Maybe I should bite the bullet and be bold !

• Sonia
    2 years ago

It’s hard to say how long navy will be popular. Trends eventually move on with time. I think choosing a colour that isn’t too on trend may be the way to go? My sister has a charcoal grey kitchen and it is lovely. She too has light and space so it never looks dark.

• poppophouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think I've talked myself out of navy now - thanks to all who replied. Howdens version of black is called Charcoal - reckon you're right , that's the way to go .

• poppophouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for the photo Sonia , I can see now that with white walls and a light worktop , the black isn't overwhelming at all.

• Ellie
    2 years ago

Navy has been around for a few years at least, I considered navy when I done my kitchen 2 years ago but decided on charcoal instead.

• Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago

Everything is a trend in sense but some last longer than others. Grey morphed into navy which morphed into green. Just remember, pure black next to pure white is a contrast that is very strong. The litmus test for me would be to look at an image and not to be able to date it, then it's classic. I love the inky blue green below with the warm greys and stoney walls. The second one shows how charcoal looks really good with pale wood and the third one is gorgeous because its white and has lots of natural light.

Contemporary Bath Home · More Info

Contemporary House Extensions · More Info

Rénovation d'une maison des années 80 · More Info

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

Here’s a charcoal one we did for a customer with copper handles and solid surface Pietra Luna Ice worktops. Looks great.

• poppophouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

When we bought this house over 25 years ago , we knew we wouldn’t b e able to afford to re- model it often so what we chose back then was going to have to last . I’m pleased to say that my choices back then have stood the test of time ... same kitchen , same colour schemes ! I’ve realised overtime that classic works best andyou can alwYs accessorise to update or add a pop of colour .

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    2 years ago

There seems to be quite a few shades of blue that are popular at present ranging from lighter blues like fjord, duck egg blue to mid blues like denim and then at the darker end you have navy blue, indigo blue and almost black with noir blue, but i'm also now seeing more shades of green being offered by manufacturers so that may be the next direction. I'd go with the colours you like though and don't worry with on trend colours as its you that's living there. Also i wouldn't limit my choices with just going to Howden's though and check out what your local independant designers can offer, they'll have a wider choice of colours and door styles, better quality products, better designs and they're not as expensive as you might think. Also a good quality HD renderd CAD design may well help you with colour options.

• PRO
    Ian Dunn Woodwork & Design
    2 years ago

Hi there,

Our Hindman's Shaker Kitchen, where we used Paint & Paper Library Squid Ink tone was a huge success. Yes, it is a trend but at the of the day it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it and feel like you can live in that kitchen for a long time. If you have any doubts though, ask for samples so that you can see for yourself what different tones look like!

Here's our blue kitchen

Hope this helps,

IDW&D

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.