elizabeth_eclectic

How to tile an arched shower entrance

How are people tiling their arched shower entrances? I have a house from 1940 and I want to keep this architectural detail. Before the bathroom was ripped down to the studs it was just the lathe and plaster without any waterproofing! So I’m not sure how tile should be properly done in this scenario. It’s hard to tell from the inspiration photos, and I want to order the tile early because there are just lots of delays with everything. I want to make sure I get the proper bullnose pieces. The wall depth is 4.5” once you factor in the sheet rock on the outside plus the cement board on the inside. I’ve tried searching different terms but I can’t seem to find a Carrara marble tile that’s a 4.5” long rectangle with 2 bullnosed edges on the short sides. The shower walls are going to be 6x12” honed carrara tiles with thassos marble chevron mosaic on the floor. Ideas? Thanks all!

Comments (20)

• lynzy1
    2 years ago

Hire an expert professional tile layer to do the job and work with a designer to choose the right tile for the space.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Many ways to skin a cat. I just did a barrel vaulted shower roughly 4'x6', all the walls were a small subway, I used a white plastic schluter as the outer edge trim. Sorry no photos yet. Tricky to DIY

• elizabeth_eclectic
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh I have a contractor and he has a great tile guy I hope, but the house is down to the studs and I haven't seen nor talked to the tile guy yet. That's a couple months out. But some of the tile I have been looking at is coming off a ship and will take 16 weeks. So I've been looking for tile in stock and ordering everything in advance if not.

• elizabeth_eclectic
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Fori good to know! thx

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'd use/repeat the clean white Thassos mosaic inside the arch. .........marry the rest to it. Depending it's size as mosaic comes in many....

What size is the Thassos?

You wanted the feature, right ?

Bullnose will be murder to find.....more likely to find pencil liners : ) Use white Schluter..aand get the tile pro in there NOW with the samples.

elizabeth_eclectic thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    2 years ago

If you are using real marble, be sure your installer is qualified. They can handle the edging of the tiles and create bullnose edges and bring the finish to match the face of the marble. But, he should have been selected before you bought materials...

elizabeth_eclectic thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • PRO
    Stonetech/Avanti Tile
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Check out https://builtwithfoam.com/ Paul can build an arch for you to tile on...

• Helen
    2 years ago

Perhaps not quite the same thing but when I did a gut remodel, my kitchen had the original hideous plastic dropped ceiling that was covered with sheets of plastic. 😱

I installed canned overhead lighting as well as under cabinet task lighting but where that open space had been, my designer had a coved copper tile ceiling installed with up lights. The tile setter who did all of my tile work in kitchen, bathrooms and ultimately on my balcony had no trouble doing it and it looks great.

FWIW my inspiration bathroom pictures had a LOT of those fabulous vintage bathrooms with the arched shower. Because of the size of my bathroom, it wouldn't have worked but I did try to keep the feel with the style of the rest of the bathroom.

This was my super inspiration photo from Motawi - not an arch but a lot of the Colonial Revival/Spanish vintage homes in my area do have arched baths as well as the ones from the 1940's which were still influenced by the earlier Art Deco styles.

elizabeth_eclectic thanked Helen
  • PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    2 years ago

BuiltWithFoam.com can make you a custom archway to fit your tiles exactly.

• HU-92922333
    last year

@elizabeth_eclectic - Can you please share pictures of the final arch? i have the same dilemma with my remodel.

• felizlady
    last year

You must be in communication with every trade person. You must plan in advance, and your tile person will plan the layout with you so all the correct material can be ordered. If you just hand them plans and let them work, they may not do what you have in your mind, even if you tell them. “Be there or beware” is my motto. I am the one paying them to do what I want done. They may suggest small changes due to experience, but the one with the money is the decision-maker. Take their advice or not, but BE THERE.

• MongoCT
    last year

"I’ve tried searching different terms but I can’t seem to find a Carrara marble tile that’s a 4.5” long rectangle with 2 bullnosed edges on the short sides."

If your tile person works with natural stone on a regular basis, it's likely he owns a set of profile wheels. It's fairly easy to create custom bullnose, especially with marble.

Example: Profile Wheel

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Fabricate the arch in gloss white Corian. No grout, no maintinance, waterproof.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

Dockman · More Info

Glamor shot of the barrel vault shower. Edge is white plastic schluter, I think the tile guy heated it with a hair dryer to do the tightest part of the bend.

• chispa
    last year

When I remodeled the master bathroom in my previous house 10 years ago, I did an arched shower entrance. I had the arch and "moulding" done in Cambria White Cliff quartz. Not difficult at all for my very competent fabricator.

Not the best photo, but all I have, since we don't live there any longer.

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    last year

A custom foam core that duplicated the arch in their library, tiled with historic tiles

• lamartinnyc
    last year

Would love to hear and see what solution you landed with

• elizabeth_eclectic
    Original Author
    last year

@lamartinnyc I found carrara pencil trim that worked!

• eld6161
    last year

Perfect

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.