cathyryankoch

GFI near water source

Izzy Mn
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Back round. My son just moved into new apartment, his first time away. He was going through move in check list. He called me on video call and showed me around. I noticed two issues. No GFI in outlet near kitchen sink (about 6" away) just regular outlet. One of the two bathrooms has a regular outlet and one has GFI. He did call office about that because it's a safety issue so wanted to let them know right away. Office said they will send person to check it out on Wednesday when they come to complex on their regular day there.My husband seems to think it's ok with the kitchen sink outlet to not have a GFI, but not the bathroom should have one....I think both should have GFI.We are in Minnesota if that makes any difference. What is code for outlets near water source?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Bspoke Homes
    2 years ago

Is there a gfci in the kitchen? Current Electrical code requires the kitchen outlets to be on a GFCI. Not every outlet has to have its own GFCI. As long as the outlet you are talking about is de-energized when the kitchen GFCI is tripped, then that “regular” outlet is indeed on the GFCI leg of the circuit.

In addition, it is very common to pull one 20 AMp bathroom circuit that goes to a bathroom, place the GFCI in that bathroom, and then run to the other bathroom(s) outlets off of that GFCI. Long and short, trip the GFCI in the one bathroom, off other bathroom deenergizes, both are GFCI protected.

• Dave
    2 years ago

Check to see if theyre on a gfi breaker. they could also be on the load side of a gfi outlet downstream. meaning, the line (power) goes to a gfi and every outlet downstream is wired via the load side of the gfi. they would all have the same protection.

trip other gfis in the kitchen and see if said outlet has power still.

code is gfi protection 6’ from the water source.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

When you say your soon moved into a "new apartment" did you mean it was lterally newly built, or simply new to him? It's good to have GFI protection by such water sources, but the code requirement is most likely whatever the code was when the apartment was built. GFIs first began to be required in certain locations in the 1970s. If the building is an older one, it may be code-compliant in the sense that there is usually no requirement to continually bring a building into compliance with code revisions. I'm not saying ignore it; but just be aware that you may not be able to pressure the landlord to do this by citing current code if it's an older building.

• Ron Natalie
    2 years ago

What Dave said. If there's a breaker with a test button or a receptacle somewhere with a test button, push it and see if all the receptacles you are worried about don't shut off (i.e, they are protected by that device).

• Izzy Mn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It is a older apartment building. Probably built in the 70's. Thanks for the input. I will test to see if GFI in the one bathroom turns off other outlets. The one bathroom that does have a GFI appears to be fairly new GFI. It is all white whereas the others, non-GFI, are off white yellowish color and look to be the original. It does look like a very well kept building. Even has pretty planting beds and newer carpet in halls, nice elevator (3 level plus under ground parking), community room, probably can be reserved with nice furniture.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.