cheryl_palmerperine

Are these plants drought tolerant?

I am looking to have a drought tolerant hillside garden area with rocks, crushed granite, etc. It has to be low maintenance.
Native Perennial Border · More Info

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Aspen Garden and Landscape, LLC
    2 years ago

Thanks Cheryl : ) . I would look for native plants from your specific area that are listed as drought tolerant. Native prairie plants often have deep roots that help them to better tolerate drought and also really improve the soils over time. If you are looking for a "prairie" look search for plants in the dry- dry/mesic- mesic categories rather than plants that are more suited to wet prairies.

Another consideration is to be sure you choose plants that aren't overly aggressive if you are hoping for a low-maintenance garden. Some plants (both native and non-native) can spread aggressively by seed or vegetatively.

You may want to reach out to a local extension agent or university for resources. Groups like Wild Ones or other sustainable gardening groups often have local chapters with great resources. Finding a local landscape designer with appropriate expertise would be another great option.

Thanks - Eric

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.