kylieroberts3

Composite wood vs real wood for decking

Kylie
2 years ago

We are building a new (under covered pergola) deck. We'd like wide planks and would appreicate advice on composite vs real wood. We've been offered Ekowood, Modwood, Spotted Gum and Blackbutt. Are the composite woods real looking? What are they like to walk on? Too hot? Thank you everyone.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Castlegate Home Improvements
    2 years ago

Hi Kylie

Decking is beautiful and there are pros and cons for composite v hardwood. We install both timber and composite for our clients and we like both. However, whichever you choose, its a lifestyle choice. One requires maintenance consistantly and the other is very low maintenance.

We're based in WA so we don't recommend clients install BlackButt or Spotted Gum if exposed to any weather (a pergola is not rain proof) as those boards don't suilt the hot dry climate. In our experience of installing Spotted Gum and Blackbutt decks exposed to the weather in Perth and installed by other companies, is that these Eastern States timbers can split and warp if not very regularly re-oiled. However, if you're in the Eastern States, your climate may be better suited.

We mainly install Merbau decking and sometimes WA Jarrah (for undercover areas). Merbau is a quality hardwood that doesn't tend to cup or split, although it still requires oiling regularly.

There are many composite brands on the market and the main thing to remember is - you get what you pay for. There are very good brands, good brands and economical brands.

We've installed most brands however we do tend to lean towards Trex, NewTechWood, Millboard, EvaLast and NexGen. These are all good brands with good warranties. We're not given commission by these brands if we recommend one over the other however, we install what we know is going to provide our clients with quality, longevity and create solutions over problems.

Timber v a good quality composite:

* Timber requires ongoing maintenance costing time and money. Composite might need a wash down once a year

* Timber does not come with a product warranty depending on the supplier. A good composite brand will come with a 20+ year warranty

* Most timbers are screwed or coil nailed (not advised) to the joists. Composite boards are secret nailed so you wont see nails or screws through the board

* Timber is a 100% natural product and suits all styles of home. Composite has an element of plastic (a good brand may be 70% recycled timber + 30% recycled plastics)

* Both timber and composite can scratch. Scratched timber may be sanded back (which takes a lot of work) to remove the scratch. A composite board, once stratched deeply, cannot be fixed.

* Timber boards can cup, shrink, swell and crack. Composite boards to expand and contract length ways however a good brand should not shrink, cup or crack.

* Composite can get hot on a 40 degree day. But, so can timber. Any surface will be hot on a hot day

* Composite boards are smooth to walk on and come with slip ratings. Timber is lovely to walk on too however can become splintery if not maintained

* Composite decking is more of a cost investment initially however if a 10L good tin of oil costs $250.00 perhaps twice a year as an ongoing cost plus your time to move your furniture, oil the deck and avoid deck use for 24 hours while the deck drys up to 4 times a year, the investments are almost the same.

I hope this helps you make a decision. Best wishes!

Regards, Castlegate Home Improvements

• Kylie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you.This is really helpful. We have decided on Millboard in Smoked Oak colour.

• PRO
    Castlegate Home Improvements
    2 years ago

Welcome. Sounds good :)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.