webuser_607881595

Decking & Cupping

Matt Cox
2 years ago

Hi everyone, will soon be installing recycled railway sleeper decking. The boards are wide, 200mm and 25mm deep. I'm aware that cupping may be an issue with such wide boards so looking to minimise this risk as far as possible. It rains a lot where I live. The deck is well off the ground.
I've read that cutting 2 kerfs lengthwise would help reduce cupping. Any thoughts?
Also considering oiling the underside of the boards prior to installation and using quality 80mm screws.
If anyone has any comments on their experiences I'd be most grateful.

Comments (2)

• oklouise
    2 years ago

can't answer your question about cupping but strongly recommend that you oil all six sides of each piece of timber and this is so much easier to do one at a time with the lengths supported on trestles to reduce bending for your back

• PRO
    Castlegate Home Improvements
    2 years ago

Hi Matt, I agree with the above comment. I can't advise on the cupping as we havent installed railway sleeper decking boards however, the best thing you can do for a hardwood deck is oil, oil , oil. We recommend to our clients with exterior hardwood decks exposed to weather to re-oil with a good quality brand every change of season.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.