raha_tabar

Kitchen splash-back tiling dilemma

Raha Tabar
2 years ago

Hi! Could I get some advice on my tiling? It's just been done last week by a tiler by trade but my builder who does everything says that he could have done a neater job and that he's surprised by the level of finish and pointed out some clumsy areas.

I'm now worried that my tiler did a bad job and can't 'unsee' all the bits that seem unprofessional, it stands out and want to get the whole thing re-done! A lot of the tiles don't feel even when you run your hands across them, and even and the grout feels really heavy.

I should have chosen a lighter grout but I didn't expect grey to come out so dark, as the light grey I chose for the floors was virtually white! The fact the grout is dark I feel shows even more all the mistakes. Particularly on the corners and on the trim. He didn't even silicone along the bottom, around the worktop. Unfortunately I have already paid my tiler but even so, I would like to ask someone else to come and take it all off and start from the beginning. Is this going to be really messy and a lot of work?

Feeling stressed and could do with any outside opinions!!! I've attached the pics so would appreciate if you guys can let me know if you think my builder is just being fussy or if he's right.

Comments (4)

• Cle Campbell
    2 years ago

I agree with the builder, that work is shoddy and unprofessional and I would not be happy looking at that in my kitchen. It looks like a DIYer has completed it. In fact I call it a HUTH house! When I watch Homes Under the Hammer, often people buy a house and either do the work themselves or get their mates to refurbish and lots of them end up looking poorly finished for the low end rental market.

Any chance that you could ask him to remedy the work though unlikely as you’ve already paid for it.

Really sorry that this work was completed in this poor way.

Raha Tabar thanked Cle Campbell
  • Raha Tabar
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your opinion! Do you think i should get someone else in to redo it? My Mum thinks it would be a crazy to go through all that hassle and the dirt dust created after the rest of the kitchen has been finished. What do you think? Many thanks.

• 88wj88
    2 years ago

I would bite the bullet and start again as soon as possible with white grout ,metal trim and a better tiler even if I had to prise off the tiles myself. Sadly, it is shoddy work amplified by dark grout . Having had a very shoddy tiler in the past, I have since always had a look when they have done a small bit to check it is as I expect.

Raha Tabar thanked 88wj88
  • PRO
    Decóra Cement
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi,

I am writing to introduce our company Decora Cement, for your consideration.

We are a London based company dedicated to manufacture, supply and install high-quality decorative Products.

Decora Microquartz is a mineral based decorative, seamless finish that can be applied on almost any surface: floors, walls, furniture (interior & exterior).

Click here to see our website!

Decora Cement: Microcement on Kitchen Splashback - Earl's Court · More Info

Decora Cement: Microcement on Kitchen Splashback - Earl's Court · More Info

Decora Cement: Microcement on Kitchen Splashback - Docklands · More Info

Decora Cement: Microcement on Kitchen Worktop and Stairs - Clapham Junction · More Info

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.