berger82

Timber beams: keep or plaster?

K Berg
2 years ago
last modified: last year

Hi,

We've just bought this house, and my husband and brother-in-law (our carpenter) think we should plaster the ceiling, for a few reasons:

1) Able to insulate

2) Will open up the room (the real estate photos make it look much brighter than it is)

3) Will solve the somewhat rough finishes where the beams join the ceiling, we're going to have to spend quite a lot of time and money fixing a lot of them

4) Easier to keep clean

5) Cost to paint beams (see below)

We have had a designer out who suggested painting the beams white (they're currently painted an unflattering latte-type colour), and keeping the pine boards as is between.

My gut tells me to keep the boards, but I do understand the practical reasons. I feel like this ceiling is one of the unique features of the home, it'd be a shame to lose it?

What do you think?

Comments (29)

• Kate
    2 years ago

I think it’s your house and you have listed all the pros and cons. We can’t make the decision for you and your husband. Sorry

• Leigh James
    2 years ago

How deep are the beams? If it were me, I'd insulate and plaster between them if possible and keep the beams exposed, hopefully you know what I mean. I'd be inclined then to try and get the beams back to timber, but it would be a lot of work sanding back the paint. Alternatively you could then wrap the beams in a natural timber that you really like. It really just depends on the look you personally like. I think plastering over the whole lot would still look nice too, as it would still be a raked ceiling.

• K Berg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m not sure how deep, but I like your idea as a compromise, thanks so much . I appreciate you taking the time to respond

• K Berg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Kate, just looking for alternative viewpoints that I may have not considered. But thanks for the reply nonetheless

• PRO
    Charles Maccora Design
    2 years ago

The rafters and timber lining boards look amazing and tie in with your timber doors. I’d just paint the rafters white. Definitely don’t plaster over it!

K Berg thanked Charles Maccora Design
  • Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

I think it looks absolutely stunning, you could try new light fittings, not often do you get a feature like you have, but here are a few different ideas, but think carefully, once it’s gone it’s gone.

• K Berg
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Julie. I love those ideas and agree re: light fittings. Those ones in the last pic are 👍👍👍

• Davincicalbourne
    last year

I agree the ceiling is a unique feature in the house and looks beautiful. It comes down to aesthetics or practicality I think as much as you love the ceiling it will be cold comfort ( pun intended) when you hardly use the space because it is freezing in there. My mum has a raked ceiling without insulation and it is hot in summer and freezing in winter. I would investigate to see if you can have insulation in the roof space above the ceiling and whether this would be an effective solution. If that won’t work I would insulate between the rafters and plaster over this - if the budget stretches you could replace with wood so it looks the same as the original. Final option is as suggested here already, insulate and plaster between rafters then sand back or box them in with timber. Good luck with what you decide - looking forward to seeing the finished result.

K Berg thanked Davincicalbourne
  • oklouise
    last year

comfort and liveability are my strongest motivators in any renovation so i would insulate and flat plaster over the whole ceiling and focus the fireplace wall as the main feature of the room ...having lived with gorgeous timber ceilings we found that an extension with a raked plasterboard ceiling was a more inviting room to sit in as the space was brighter and more cheerful and agreeing with those who are happy to do the work is a useful bargaining tool when you want something else more

• K Berg
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much @oklouise. Your pun is most appreciated! I think we’re going to insulate between, then line in between the beams with a white washed board, then paint the beams. I will be sure to post a picture of the finished product!

• K Berg
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry, I tagged the wrong person!

• siriuskey
    last year

Congratulations, your house is classic I have a house from the same period and love it. The previous owners appear to have furnished with period pieces which looks lovely. You didn't mention your climate but that wonderful brick fireplace is a heat trap for any heating you use if you add a reverse ceiling fan that will push any warm air down from the ceiling same applies for summer so you can flush the hot air out

Houses from that period often used rough sawn Oregon, so lucky you having a painter in the family.

We haven't added any insulation as our ceiling is timber without beams so it can't be done from the inside and to do it from the roof is just as difficult because of the timbers added to hold the runs of tiles.

I would live in your new house for awhile before deciding on making any big changes and then if you still need to further insulate consider using horizontal VJ board between the beams for a similar look. good luck

K Berg thanked siriuskey
  • sweetsofparadise2659
    last year

I love your house as it is. And I fully agree with sirluskey who suggests that you live in it for a while before rushing with this decision.

There is an innocence and warmth in that room while still maintaining the sophisticated "modern" lines. I guess for now, simply enhancing that beautiful wood with oil/stain or whatever it is wood experts can suggest, could turn it into a stunning feature.

You could also dress up the ceiling with an oversized white chandelier to highlight the beauty of that ceiling. If you must spend any money for insulation purposes, may I suggest changing to, if not already existing, double glazed glass? But please keep that stunning ceiling!

Good luck

K Berg thanked sweetsofparadise2659
  • K Berg
    Original Author
    last year

Yes @oklouise I totally see where you’re coming from about bargaining power- choose your Reno battles!

• Denise Laura Voshell
    last year

I just love the beams.... The room would not be as welcoming without them....

K Berg thanked Denise Laura Voshell
  • Penelope Holland
    last year

Beautiful - in my opinion. To paint over those beams would be sacrilege. I'd definitely change the light fittings and go a lot bigger and white/off white (matching wall colour). I think I would introduce more larger plants (kentia palm, dracaena marginata for example), as you have a vaulted ceiling. You could also introduce more plants/green objects, around the brickwork, as green would provide a bit more contrast, but still complimenting the warmth of the brick and wood ceiling. Good luck.

K Berg thanked Penelope Holland
  • Fiona W
    last year

I absolutely would not paint the beams! they are an incredible feature and it very expensive to build a house with them now. Once painted or covered, you can never go back to the raw wood so think very carefully before painting. consider othercwsys to insulate and hrighten them room (sky lights between beams look amazing!).

K Berg thanked Fiona W
  • Elaine Sharkey
    last year

If it was mine I’d paint it white. i love it.

K Berg thanked Elaine Sharkey
  • HU-640108217
    last year

Beautiful room!! I’m struggling with the suggestions of painting anything white. The ceiling not only adds warmth but character to this lovely space. I would paint or stain the beams a shade closer to the colour of the ceiling. You are indeed fortunate to own a home which is not only individual but welcoming. Loren.

K Berg thanked HU-640108217
  • Mylongtermhome
    last year

I would love to see what you end up doing. I have just bought a similar ere house with a LOT more timber in it. There is a very fine line between trying to fix one issue and ruining the character of the home which attracted us to it in the first place. In my case though, apart from 2 of the 4 bedrooms and one wall in lounge roomn, EVERTHING is timber and a bit of brick. All except for the berber carpet and some floor tiles (3 different colours throughout the house). Even painting the pine is not an easy task. A painter said to me that it may have been laid on the reverse side. As well as the knots, it has lots of ridges where the radiata is. He said it may be better to "skim" over it with plaster or just plaster all the walls with a square set finish. It is an overcast day today and the house is so dark. I have the lights on to read. Also, there is a gorgeous front garden that cannot be seen from the carpetted lounge room. Well it can if you stand in front of the right window, but seems a lost opportunity.

Good luck. It guess it comes down to what overall look you want to achieve, which is hard to decide on these types of houses when you are a person that isn't set on one idea. All I know is that I don't like it when these houses have everything painted white and then get a grey looking timber floor. My sister has done that and whilst it looks lovely, it just feels like it has killed the style of the home.

K Berg thanked Mylongtermhome
  • Lauren Watson
    last year

We also have a home with a pine ceiling and beams. The room faces south and is quite dark. Over the years the pine has yello

K Berg thanked Lauren Watson
  • Lauren Watson
    last year

Turned yellow. The beams are mission brown as is the rest of the timber. We looked at sanding back and lime washing to lighten it but the cost was prohibitive. To paint over it is also very expensive because of having to fill the knots and the nail holes. I feel conflicted about it too as it is a feature of the home. We are now considering plastering between the beams and painting the beams to match the ceiling colour to try and lighten the space. The room also had a brown brick feature wall at one end which we plastered. It made such a difference to the room. It felt cold and dark before we did that. What have you decided?

K Berg thanked Lauren Watson
  • Mylongtermhome
    last year

It sounds like there are no economical solutions for these pine timber homes. When I bought mine, I thought it would be easy to just paint it white, but after speaking to 2 painters, yes, it is a LOT of work for it to get the VJ look due to the knots, the grooves in the timber etc. Mine is on walls and ceiling though.

• Mylongtermhome
    last year

I think the plywood will look lovely.

• Kate
    last year

What will u do with the fireplace

• K Berg
    Original Author
    last year

@kate we are having new timber cabinetry and mantle made but otherwise keeping as-is for now

• K Berg
    Original Author
    last year

@Mylongtermhome thank you so much for your feedback :-)

• Lauren Watson
    last year

Good solution for a problem area 😊

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.