tracehoop

Kitchen redesign

T H
last year

We are in the process of buying a house, and would like to reconfigure the kitchen. The sellers have previously had planning permission approved to open up the kitchen (plans attached) but we were also keen to explore what might be possible within the existing floorplan.

Ideally, we'd like some kind of eating area in the kitchen, but it seems too narrow for an island and leaves some dead space at the hallway end if you just had a breakfast bar and no table at the end - they currently have a table in this space.

We also thought about blocking off the back door and opening up what are currently windows (outlined in turquoise boxes) in the dining room and kitchen into the outside area, so that the dining room/kitchen flow into each other through the outside space, but again layout of the kitchen becomes a bit tricky. This also might be a bit ambitious given we live in the UK, time actually spent outside is likely to be minimal!

Any and every suggestion welcome - thanks!

Comments (3)

• pauldrowan
    last year

Quickly sketched idea for you

• PRO
    ICE Interior Ltd
    last year

I think the design drawn by Paul above switching the dining area into the kitchen is a good option within the existing floor plan. However if your budget allows, the proposed side extension would offer a great open plan kitchen-dining-snug space, but clearly there would be significantly more cost in going down this route. Also if the side extension is single storey, you should definitely consider a roof lantern and possibly wider sliding or bifolding doors out to the garden area to maximise the natural light.

• siobhanmcgee90
    last year

I think Paul’s idea is great. Depending on the orientation of the garden, the Patio could be a lovely sunny spot to step onto front the kitchen and dining so make those double doors.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.