last year

ADVERTISEMENT
Open menuMumsnet LogoPremium
Open search menu
Open My mumsnet menu
Talk
>
Property/DIY
1st ever kitchen renovation: B&Q or Wren?
0v485949 · Today 11:30
Unsure of what would be best here, would like some advice/input from those more experienced.
My kitchen is a medium sized room about 300 x 350cm. I've gotten 3 quotes from 3 separate places, which don't include fitting price (I've got my own fitter.)
Wren: £6500, not inc. the fridge freezer, flooring, tiles or washer.
B&Q: £6100, inc. everything except the floor.
Magnet: £9500, including everything.
Obviously Magnet is an OTT price, so it's between B&Q and Wren.
Thing is, while B&Q gave the better price, I prefer the design & overall operation from Wren - my gut is telling me to go with them, despite them being pricier. Which is unlike me, as I'm usually all about the savings.
Some extra details: Wren's would have been more, but they have a few sale items, so that brought the price down considerably.
Wren also priced it for the pre-built cabinets (not flat-packed), while B&Q only do flat-pack. Apparently this will save on fitting.
My fitter also suggested I use his card at Wren to get trade price - not sure if the sales mentioned above will be applied if I do though.
I'm also not above getting some appliances and the like secondhand or from wholesalers. As they're going to be integrated appliances, however, I'm not sure how possible this will be.
Any advice would be gratefully received!!

Comments (5)

• Juliet Docherty
    last year

Pay a Which subscription for a short while and read their reviews. You may find you want to avoid Wren ktichens. DIY kitchens seem to be a really good option, you need to have a design ready to go though.

• Ruth House
    last year

We were very happy with our wren product and service.  I would say if you prefer the Wren design then you should go for it.  Wouldn't it be sad to settle for your second choice because of someone else's bad experience, it may not happen to you.  We are going with wren again despite 'all the bad reviews' it's a small risk worst taking for us as they have the only kitchen we like within our budget.

• Sonia
    last year

There are so many kitchen providers out there that I think it’s worth shopping around a bit more. My kitchen is 12 years old and from Wrens. They supplied everything but I had my own fitter. It’s okay and has stood the test of time. Most of the Wren’s problems are to do with poor fitting. They have flashy showrooms which tempt people. I have heard DIY Kitchens are supposed to be really good and lots of Hoyzzers use them. Why not try some independent kitchen fitters who cater for all budgets. Worth a try.

• PRO
    ICE Interior Ltd
    last year

Have you visited any local independents retailers and asked what they can do? Supporting your local independent retailer potentially really helps your local economy, and they should support you throughout the process before, during and afterwards. You may also end up with a better design and a higher quality product.

Good luck :)

• Daisy England
    last year

Use the Wren plan if that is your preferred one and go to an independent supplier. We quote against Wren and the big sheds and always come in cheaper with better quality.

Wren currently have horrendous feedback and one of the main reasons why people go to them is the interest free deal. Of course this is added into the initial price.

Do your homework first as kitchens are a big expense. They all have Facebook review pages which are very informative. Tread carefully.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.