webuser_169066106

Reinstating a chimney breast

Phil Snowball
10 months ago

I have just bought a victorian terrace house with a long, narrow rear galley kitchen. The previous owners have at some point removed the chimney breast in the kitchen and installed a large steel beam running the length of the kitchen to support the chimney stack in the bathroom above. The problem I have is the ceilings are very low in the kitchen already and where the steel beam is the ceiling is a lot lower, in fact it's so low you would have trouble installing top level cupboards I am thinking about reinstating the chimney stack so that I can get rid of the steel beam, I am planning on running the kitchen cupboards along the wall where the chimney stack is and having the oven in the chimney stack opening with the extractor fan venting into the chimney. this means I am not really using any space but gaining quite a bit of head height along that wall. Has anyone got any thoughts or advice on this and whether its a good idea or not? PS The photo is from the estate agents brochure :-)

Comments (7)

• Jonathan
    10 months ago

I doubt the expense is worth it. If you want better storage then consider deeper cabinets, innovative pull outs, and clever design

• Sonia
    10 months ago

Wow and no mention of that wallpaper 😂 The beam may be holding up more than you think so I personally would leave it be. It could be holding up the whole of the upstairs so I would discuss with a good builder first. Units come in all shapes and sizes so look into that before doing a demolition job. The room has a lot of potential otherwise.

• tim_baker921
    10 months ago

Steel beams are boxed in to meet fire regulations and for aesthetics. You can now use intumescent paint to meet fire regs. Removing the boxing may give you the additional headroom you require and a change of aesthetic.

• PRO
    i-architect
    10 months ago

Alternatively remove the chimney breast above and gain the extra space upstairs and get rid of the beam in the kitchen.

• gold895
    10 months ago

Personally, I would use all your effort on getting rid of the wallpaper. Leave the beam as it is as removing it would be a complete nightmare.

• turquoisetree53
    10 months ago

Convert an old wardrobe to a shelved pantry., and have it as a standalone. . forget walled cupboards on that wall.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.