kat_big

Cabinet Hardware & Window Treatment

Kat Big
2 months ago

Hello! We are near completion on an ADU reno and I’d love a little advice:

1. what hardware would you recommend for the kitchen? We were thinking black would really pop but maybe brushed or satin nickel would be more harmonious. Or maybe a combo but I’m having trouble deciding. Also pulls, knobs?
  2. what kind of window treatment do you see for the window? It used to have plantation shutters but now they seem a little ‘much’ and block a lot of light. Plus, the shutters casing would cover the lovely tile edging work done around the window.
    Thanks so much!

Comments (19)

• la_la Girl
    2 months ago

For hardware, I would do satin nickel - (so much softer/nicer than black in that space) What about a roman shade in a fabric you love? - you could mount it above the window so it doesn't block any light when open and makes the window look taller

• Kendrah
    2 months ago

Very pretty color choices here. Black would clutter it up. Go with polished chrome for a touch of shine or brushed nickel if you want something that really blends in.

Who will be living here and using the kitchen? Is this a space for aging in place? I'd consider hardware choices based on that.

Woven blind in colors that vibe with the kitchen. Hang it higher than the top of the window, maybe 1/3 or 1/2 way between the top of the window and the ceiling.

• darbuka
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Looks like there’s privacy outside the window. I’d leave the window bare, since it’s small, and is the daylight source for the kitchen.

Satin nickel would be my choice for hardware…all pulls…no knobs.

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Another vote for satin nickel pulls. Nice job so far.

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

For a nicer flow I would paint the wall above to match the cabinets…this would offer a nice background for a valence..a pendant light or two?

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

The white wall in the yard is also an excellent background for some sculptural plantings or lattice with flowers or vines?

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

It is always to have something pretty to look at while working in the kitchen or 😩 washing dishes

• houssaon
    2 months ago

I would use knobs on the cabinets and pulls on the drawer. I like the simplier look. You could do a sheer curtain. I like a brushed nickle finish.

It is a real nice looking space.

• PRO
    The Blind Shop
    2 months ago

You could consider a wood venetian blind in your kitchen window - we have some earthy colours that you could choose from to co-ordinate with the rest of your kitchen decor. Or you could go for a simple sunscreen roller blind which would allow you to still see out. Feel free to order sample swatches from our website.

• izeve
    2 months ago

I would do a nice roman shade mounted high above the window and lowered to just cover the top of the window - it seems to me that you really don't need privacy, so the blind would be really for decoration.

Urban Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

Pimlico Townhouse · More Info

• stiley
    2 months ago

I agree with the idea above--a woven or fabric roman shade, mounted high. And I love polished nickel hardware for this space. You chose pretty colors!

• Kat Big
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Wow, thank you all so much for your feedback! To answer a few questions: this will mainly be used by out of town family and guests (we have a big family!) and might occasionally be used as a short term rental. Love the idea of high mounted either Roman or natural material shades! The window is facing a cinder block wall that we just had stuccoed green but you can’t se that in this light. It is a huge improvement but I like the idea of adding something pretty to look out at. We do need there to be a blackout component of some kind bc that front room also has a sofa sleeper. Can a blackout shade be tucked under a Roman shade so it can be pulled down when necessary?
    And thank you for solidifying MY (spouse wanted black) belief that brushed/satin nickel will be the best fit in there☺️

• Kat Big
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Also, as mentioned in a comment, do you think we should paint the wall above the window the same color as the cabinets? Rn it’s the color of the main kitchen wall🤷🏼‍♀️

• stiley
    2 months ago

I wouldn’t paint that section of wall. I think you should mount a roman shade up high close to the ceiling.

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

That space above doesn’t match anything🤷🏻‍♀️.. it should definitely be painted to match something

• PRO
    The Blind Shop
    2 months ago

You can have a blackout roller blind behind the roman blind, but you can also getroman blinds with blackout lining. The roman blinds we offer come with blackout lining as standard. One thing to keep in mind is that being in a kitchen, the roman blinds will get dirty, but you may be ok with that if the place is only being used occasionally.

• Kat Big
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you, good to know! Is there a US site? The pricing on the link you sent is in £.

• iroll
    2 months ago

Home Depot and Amazon sell Roman shades with blackout lining.

• PRO
    The Blind Shop
    2 months ago

We are a UK company but can ship to the US. Just get in touch by email and we can give you a price for shipping. info@theblindshop.com

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.