sue_leroy15

exterior makeover. might paint the brick

sue
last month

if we can keep the brick and work with it to look amazing, great ! but we are leaning towards painting it. siding change to board and batten, and maybe in the peaks those shingles . oh . and we have to replace all the windows. this is in a neighborhood on a crescent , house is about 40 years old. DO we paint brick light then dark on top, other way around, I have no idea ! thanks the brick is a light brown . hard to explain, this photo makes it look darker. i want plain windows , shutters to come off, etc

Comments (17)

• Lorraine Leroux
    last month

Since you are replacing the siding forgo painting the brick. Find a siding colour that moderizes the brick. I feel it is a waste of money that can be better spent into the siding/windows etc.

• sue
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Lorraine :)

• PRO
    lisedv
    last month

Are you also planning on redoing the roof? Seems old and discoloured on the photo.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last month

Here's one idea keeping the brick as is...

sue thanked lisedv
  • Olychick
    last month

I don’t undertand the worry anout having to periodially repaint brick, when the rest of the house with siding will also need repainting. If you do proper prep and use products specifically designed for brick, lots of people have posted that their painted brick has been maintenance free..

I think your house would look wonderful all painted one color.

You can play with paint visualizers on different paint websites, if you don’t have photoshop skills.

sue thanked Olychick
  • PRO
    lisedv
    last month

One of several options if you decide to paint the brick...

sue thanked lisedv
  • holiver1230
    last month

We painted some brick chimneys on our house and it looked awesome!

sue thanked holiver1230
  • PRO
    lisedv
    last month

All one colour could also be quite nice. Select a white that will match the brick colour. Look at the Romabio website for a limewash finish for your bricks.

https://romabio.com/masonry/limewash/ageless-beauty/

sue thanked lisedv
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

The current color of the siding and roof shingles don't work with the brick color. Limewashing the brick would be my last consideration.

sue thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • arcy_gw
    last month

"... it looked awesome! " It always LOOKs nice-at first. It won't last the way the brick does and the maintenance chore you've now created will be a FOREVER PITB!! FUNCTION FUNCTION FUNCTION

sue thanked arcy_gw
  • PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    last month

If you love the brick, modernizing the siding will be your next step as Lorraine suggests.

sue thanked CAGE Design Build
  • sue
    Original Author
    28 days ago

HI THERE . we don't love the brick thats the issue,but we for sure are replacing the siding to a board and batten, but no idea what color scheme. no grids on windows. we have to change them all, no shutters posts changed etc. the only thing staying is the roof as its new, its a dark brown, almost a touch of gray but hard to say, thanks :)

• Boxerpal
    28 days ago

Aaaaahhh since you don't love the brick than maybe a German Schmear. It's very magnolia farms Chip and Joann Gaines but looks very pretty and softens the brick. I think maintenance may be easier than a painted surface

https://authentic.germansmear.com/before-after-photos

sue thanked Boxerpal
  • Kate
    28 days ago

I painted our brick house 20 years ago and it looks as good now as when it was first painted. I’m so happy we painted it. My husband thought the same thing about maintaining it, but now he is so glad we did, looks 100% better painted. Go for it if that works best for your look.

sue thanked Kate
  • ptreckel
    28 days ago

My brick home was actually painted when it was built in 1939. We have not had any issues with it…in fact, we have had more issues with paint peeling off our redwood siding over the years that we have owned it. That said..I think you might dislike your brick because it looks pink in contrast to the yellow siding. It is the siding color that needs to change. Give your brick a chance and look into paint colors that coordinate better with it than what you have on it now. The sage green, or white, would both be a dramatic improvement over the yellowish color that you home is painted now. Good luck!

sue thanked ptreckel
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    28 days ago

Pick colors first since there are thousands of colors of paint.

sue thanked ShadyWillowFarm
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.