webuser_783414413

Symmetry problem

HU-783414413
19 days ago

Once again I have a question with my foyer. Only this time, it doesn’t have to do with decorating it!

The first two photos are from my front door looking straight through to the back of the house during the day and night. The third photo is a close up.

As you can see, the dining table and chandelier are not centered with the window and arch but are centered with the tray ceiling.

Should I move the table and chandelier and center it with the window and arch, or will that look strange because it wouldn’t be centered with the tray? Doing this, the dining table and chairs will be about three feet from the family room vs the four feet it is now.

Which way would look better? I don’t think redoing the ceiling is an option.

Please help me with this obsession. 🙏🏻 Unfortunately I didn’t catch this on the plans before construction began.

I thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Comments (16)

• Lyn Nielson
    19 days ago

is the light fixture centered in the tray?

• HU-783414413
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Yes, Lyn, it is centered in the tray.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    19 days ago

If the fixture is centered on the tray ceiling, I'd leave it alone.

• HU-783414413
    Original Author
    19 days ago

I will add that the only time the off-centeredness is noticeable is when you come in through the front door. Once I’m in the open area, I don’t notice it at all.

• Lyn Nielson
    19 days ago

if the light is centered on the tray and the table is centered on the light... I'd leave it.

you have plenty in the hall to distract from any thing at the end of the hallway.

• kandrewspa
    19 days ago

Based on what you just said, I think you're better off leaving it the way it is.

• eld6161
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

I agree. Guests entering are concentrating the on greeting you, getting settled etc.

So, they would never notice your chandelier is amiss.

It would be off kilter if it's not centered in the tray ceiling.

• chispa
    19 days ago

You are hyper-focused on a detail that is a non issue. The chandelier and table are properly centered on the tray and in the overall space.

You actually blocked off the distance view with that gold shelf unit. Look how it chopped off the arch on the right side, which has nothing to do with the dining room. The shelf unit is fine too, but you can pick everything apart if you are looking for perfection in every space and from every angle, while looking through different rooms!

• Anna Devane
    19 days ago

Maybe tha tall etagere is throwing off the visual balance you seek. What if you removed it and replaced it with a small banquette/seating area

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    19 days ago

It's the gold-tone etagere that's the issue for me.

It looks misplaced in this walkway. Looks like it's in the way.

I'd find a new location for it.

You dining room light fixture doesn't look like it's centered in the tray. Is that correct or is the photo distorting the location?

Also the color of your downlights is wrong in the hallway. They are too cool.

• HU-783414413
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Beverly, is it the gold tone of the etagere or its deepness? I considered toning the gold down so it wouldn’t look as yellow.

Anna, I don’t have another home for the etagere. Since I replaced the built-in shelves next to my fireplace in my family room with abstract paintings, this etagere holds many precious mementos that I can display.

Also, Beverly, the chandelier is centered in the tray. And I appreciate your advice on the color of the lights. In fact, I have a large chandelier in the front of the foyer with cool lights that makes my walls appear green at night. Maybe it’s time to switch all the bulbs to a warmer color in this area?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    19 days ago

You symettry folks drive me crazy.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

The etagere extends into the walkway and it's so incredibly busy that seeing it from the side is kind of overwhelming.

We have no idea where these etageres came from. They are large but the items placed on the shelves are small and fussy. This is not a good pairing of items.

• HU-783414413
    Original Author
    19 days ago

I always wanted a bench to sit on in my foyer, but to find another home for the etagere will be a challenge! If I put it behind the sofa in my u-shaped family room where there is a big blank wall, it won’t leave much of a walkway to get to the cabinet next to the fireplace.

I think it’d make my bedroom even more crowded.

But the minimalism in the foyer does good!

• HU-783414413
    Original Author
    19 days ago

But I love the contemporary feel of the etagere as well!

• HU-783414413
    Original Author
    19 days ago

PS I just saw the old photo of my etageres! Omg! Back when I moved in two years ago, I reached out to Houzz. I took the advice to relocate the grandfather clock and I also quieted down the busy-ness of the items. It’s a big improvement today lol

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.