remodelstinks

About to change tub into walk-in shower

remodelstinks
10 years ago
If the slope is done correctly how important is it to have a door? I read someone still has water spilling out of the shower despite a slope.

Comments (11)

• dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Slope must be done correctly...sometimes hard to do in existing houses...build up entire floor or cut down existing.
  • remodelstinks
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Should I just have the contractor install a door to be on the safe side? My house was build in the 50's. I want the least amount of issues. He's remolded my kitchen and has been highly recommended but there's always a first and I want to make sure everything is done properly.
  • Finnaeus Easterly
    10 years ago
    Has the floor already been sloped for the walk in shower without the door? Was it done by this same contractor?
  • remodelstinks
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No, construction hasnt even happened yet. But yes, it's going to be the same contractor. He assured me he could slope it. It just got me nervous reading on here that someone had sloped it but is still getting water spilling out.
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    10 years ago
    If you want a full-access shower (as in a shower with no dam or door), you should waterproof entire bathroom floor and provide for a floor drain at the shower and beyond. There will still need to be a slope, starting at the bathroom door towards the drains, else water may travel beyond. Care should be taken with the design of the shower, location of the plumbing wall / faucet, etc. but overall this is fairly easily done.
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    The size of the shower is also important so water don't splash everywhere when someone is taking a shower.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    What are the dimensions of the shower? Are you planning a threshold that you'd step over to enter the shower to contain the water? Also consider how you will turn the shower on--can you reach the controls without getting wet?
  • PRO
    M.A.S. Construction
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Have your contractor use a pre made system for the slope of the shower floor. They guarantee a draining floor and save the weight and time involved with at wet bed system. Several companies make them and should be available at a tile supply store. They can be cut on site into any size needed, one company even has one that is waterproof and can be tiled over on the same day as installation this cuts at least one day off of the project. If you do not intend to use a door, just be certain that the contractor uses a water proofing membrane for the areas outside the shower "wet area" We use a product called Red Guard on all wet areas. Which is available at home depot.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    A door will not stop water from leaking out if the floor is not properly sloped. The only thing that would prevent water escaping would be a threshold. The shower has to be large enough to get the slope. A secondary chanel drain at the shower entrance can also provide some additional security.
  • remodelstinks
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks a bunch for all your comments! ...... Now, how about shower heads with a detachable head. I wanted a square head. Any brands suggested? I know this probably makes it hard but I've never priced them so I don't know what a budget for shower head/ system would be.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.