christelle_harris

help with decorate my deep mantel and side niche

Christelle
10 years ago
I need help with decorating my deep mantel and side niche, also need ideas on furniture placement options ? i am starting all new need to buy everything , I am going on budget ikea, chairs and i love everything west elm style , europeen, Scandinavian, mid century , comfy place to receive friend and relax this room is off the kitchen

Comments (48)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    What is the light shining from above the mantel? A window, an aquarium, a TV, what? Regarding the twin niches flanking the fireplace, I would cover them with tile ASAP. If that is not a wood burning fireplace, I would consider replacing it with a long, low electric fireplace and placing a TV above it. With a low FP, a TV is easy to view above it because it's at a decent height.
    50" Electric Fireplace - Black Glass · More Info
    Christelle thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    it's a window view of my neighbors roof :( i just finished redo the room painting ect and never find the best way to decorate around the fireplace because it's awkward built and ugly . At this time we do not budget to redo the fireplace itself it's gas, you are suggesting closing up completely the niche and tile or tile them inside ??? i would close them yes if that going to improve the look of this whole thing less headach for me trying find some to put in them lol , the window ---- if we close up that window my whole room going to be pretty dark sadly. the niche they are pretty deep do you think i can still place shelves in them and books , would it look ok ????? so close to the fireplace ? i do not plan on placing a tv above as long i have that window i don't think it's a good idea i would need to take thtat window out and this is not in the book ever we do have a patio and light is very limited in that room and kitchen because of the patio cover
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Check out this Noguchi style white base cocktail table for only $447. I think this would look great for your design style.
    Isamu Noguchi Style Triangle Coffee Table With Wood Base · More Info
    Christelle thanked Darzy
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Even though you have a gas fireplace, for those niches on each side, I would get perfectly cut wood logs (level on the edge) and stack them beautifully. They will look a bit like "log" tile. :) Yes, fill the niche(s) completely..it may be like a puzzle to find the perfect size logs!
    Mark Dutka · More Info
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I meant to totally cover the niches, eliminating the open spaces, but Darzy's idea is great and solves the problem at low cost. I'd fill the niches with the wood instead of only filling them partway as you see below.
    Family Space · More Info
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    Love Darzy's idea about the logs and then I would find a picture to cover the window above the fireplace. I would not want to look at my neighbors roof when you can choose something beautiful to look at.
    Christelle thanked tennisanyone
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I sat on this chair last week at West Elm and found it superbly comfortable! Awesomely so!
    Two of these flanking the fireplace would be heavenly. Then with a sofa facing the FP, and Darzy's Noguchi knockoff coffee table in front of it, you'd be off to a great start. I'd add a sofa table behind the sofa so that that is what people see as they enter the room.

Victor Chair, Buttoned, Window Pane Plaid · More Info
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    A view of rooftops can be delightful as I recall from trips to Paris and Rome. Well, maybe this view is not that good, but daylight streaming in is not to be scoffed at.
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    all of your suggestion are just perfect it solve all my probs lol thank you yes! so birch wood logs in niches :) i love the chairs carolyn sound great and absolutely darzy the table you suggested was on my list to buy !!!!!! i sooo see it in that place
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    charcoal sofa?????
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    do you think my current sofa would fit the bill in that room? i am planning to buy the leather one and switch them
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Charcoal should work well for the sofa. Glad you like what Darzy and I are showing you!
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i love it that what pretty close to what i had in mind but needed the push and reassurance :) i think it will look great ladies thank you as soon i got all the pieces i will place a update pic
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I'd prefer either a single seat cushion or two seat cushions on the sofa, and would not like having two sofas of the same style in the house.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    @Carolyn...hate to hijack but could you check this one out?
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/furnishing-living-room-dsvw-vd~757821
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Regarding moving your sofa to this room, what is the width of the room and the length of the sofa. I'd like 3' of space on each end.
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    it's 12' long i think i have to measure it :)
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i find a place for decorative logs to fill niche they have a mix contemporary available just bingo on what i need ?? do you think i should go with it or choose another color ? http://www.thelittlelogcompany.com/our-colour-range-catalogue
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    I was thinking more like buy logs cheap and arrange youself.:) It may be uneven in the back of the niche, but make them even in the front.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    But, if you want perfect circles, that is the way to go!
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    If you can find bull's eye glass, you could have a glazier fit up a panel insert for that window. You could still get light in, but would not be able to see what the view is.
  • ironmantd
    10 years ago
    Get a black leather couch and a couple of black chairs with chrome legs.
    Christelle thanked ironmantd
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    here is a website where you can get the glass: http://www.sugarhollowglass.com/
    Christelle thanked Nancy Walton
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i was looking at the ikea karlstad leather in black :)
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    carolyn i have just a lill under 3' each side
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I think you should go white because the room is so dark.
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    my room is not too dark the pic is lol lol in the day the walls are very soft , i still have small kids too :)
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Leather is available in white as well as black, I'm pretty sure.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Glad to hear you have almost 3' on each side, that will work. Is there any electrical in the floor?
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    no I don't have any ?
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    If you like the wingback chairs, check out Ikea's. They have two: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90251659/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60262391/#/60262391

I would look for art glass to put in front of the window. The light shining in would look fabulous. It might bust the budget though.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I like those chairs, Grover!
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Another solution for that window would be to have it replaced by a glass block window.
    Christelle thanked Nancy Walton
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    sorry i don't like glass block i rather see my neigbord roof i might place some there one day for now i am used to it somehow it does not bother me anymore the niches do lol
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    change of plans i had to move my lounging chair to this room because of my new curtains patterns and space was not working too much for me in the other room now this is the only space i can have the lounger , the patterns kind of bugging me. not too sure how to make it work now with what i have ( do the curtains have to go ?) if there anything i can do to make it work ????? the chair have to stay in that room i love that chair :) grrrrrrr i might sound crazy to move stuff around like this lol
  • PRO
    patricia sarnataro
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    Two big vases of the same might be nice in the niche, in one of your accent colors. And than on top Mandy a small sculpture , modern, or a grouping of small sculptures.
    Christelle thanked patricia sarnataro
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you Patricia i thought of vases and look for hours for oversize vases that i would like and didn't find any :(
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Solid draperies should be on your shopping list, probably in the off white rug color.
  • PRO
    patricia sarnataro
    10 years ago
    Hmmmm, let me think about this, not sure what your budget is.... I once found some really great large vases in a beautiful turquoise and thought that could be a really pretty color in those niches
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    if i can find some that do not exceed $100 or less a piece that would be nice
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Vases seem too "expected" to me while I find the logs more interesting.
  • PRO
    patricia sarnataro
    10 years ago
    Ok well a couple of suggestions. It is fun to go to vintage and resale shops as you never know what you will find . Sometimes it takes a number of visits for that perfect thing to appear.... In nyc, we have housing works that always has some great finds for great prices.
    There is also the chinese stores we have one in the city called pearl river , they may be on the internet... The chinese stores often have large pottery and if you can find something that doesn't have the traditional chinese painting and motifs on them and they are a solid color ... Also check out some stores that sell outdoor plants as they may have also large vases or planters. I am surprised that ikea doesn't have anything . Pier one may or even target.... But I think it would be fun to try resale shops and flea markets if you have any in your area..... If I see something I will post again but I think vases are definitely the way to go.... Another thought is if you have any stores that sell African products or search online as I have often seen large wooden vases... Which could work but I like the idea of some color... I
  • PRO
    The Log Basket
    10 years ago
    Hi Christelle - I wonder if you have solved your decorating dilemma yet? We notice that you have included a couple of our log installation photos in your comments above - clean, dry and hand finished round (or split) decorative logs. Easy to install, and maintenance free! Find us here: http://www.thelogbasket.co.uk . We love that check-pattern chair, by the way...

Decorative Logs in Feature Dual Alcoves · More Info
  • lvpugs
    9 years ago
    I love your space! I'm in Vegas also maybe you could help me with my space?
  • lvpugs
    9 years ago
    Here is my space but it needs something in the middle I don't know what though?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You need to start your own Design Dilemma.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.