kris_dow

Stone 'tile' wall, 1930s original tile hearth, help!

KD
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
So in the new house I was delighted to see that there are in fact hardwood floors under the carpeting that should be able to be refinished and look really nice. However, there is also what looks like an original tile hearth set into the floor where there used to be a fireplace, and it does not work at ALL with the stone 'tile' wall that someone put in. (Those slices of stone that you stick up to make it look like you have a stone wall?)

I would eventually like to remove the stone but it's not in the budget at the moment, so I'm trying to figure out how to cover up the tile for now in a way that's more sympathetic with the stone, without damaging the tile any more than it already is. (Nails from the carpet tack strips.)

It really bugs me to have what looks like it should be a fireplace without a fireplace there, so I'm thinking I'll put something there, too. Either a wall-mounted gel-fuel fireplace with some kind of trim to make it look more like it belongs, or maybe a fireplace screen with LED candles behind it, to at least create some of the visual impression of a fireplace.

ETA: Window treatments came with the house and will be replaced with shutters most likely due to allergies (trying to minimize soft furnishings and soft seating is more important than soft blinds) and I'm going to repaint the walls in some sort of neutral - either a soft tan or a warm gray probably, I have samples that I haven't had a chance to try in the space yet. So I'm not sure what color to paint the mantel either - same color as the trim in the rest of the room?

Comments (53)

• libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Dark gray / gray slate or bluestone or honed stone works - anything that echos the darker colors in the stone . . tiles as deep as the hearth all the way across would be fine too with dark matching grout. You might add more of a fire box surround - i think that is what they mean about a salvage mantel - the whole trim box (can diy if hubs is carpenterish) the sides and the top under the mantel / create a bit of a box for your candleabra behind a screen . . . piratefoxy that stone looks real and gorgeous / perhaps not just your thing . .
    KD thanked libradesigneye
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @themoxie - A 'proper' fireplace isn't in the cards anyway due to the effect on air quality with most of them, so even if we could open it up and there was a functional fireplace it probably would just be use with one of those gel fuel inserts you can get for normal fireplaces, since supposedly good gel fuel burns more cleanly. (Someone in the house has really bad allergies.) I'd love to know what's actually there, though. Just for the history of the place?
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    either paint the tiles, or use a piece of slate.

as for a "fireplace", does it need to emit heat?
    if not, you maybe could fake a wood-filled one.
    http://www.livelovediy.com/2013/10/faux-stacked-log-fireplace-tutorial.html
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-decorating-project-idea-faux-stacked-log-fireplace-facade-pepper-design-blog-197403
    KD thanked yoboseiyo
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @libradesigneye - Yeah, I was thinking that last night - it needs a 'frame' with vertical lines to connect the heart to the mantle, I feel like. If not a full surround then at least something like corbels added under the mantle to give some element of 'boxing in' the 'fire'? I'm going to take a closer look at the trim on the windows and see if that inspires anything. (I don't think I'd want to try to duplicate the trim, but any added woodwork seems like it should be complimentary to the stuff already in the room.)

It is real stone - it's that stuff with slices of stone applied like tiles? I think I'd be happier with it if it wasn't obviously potentially covering up other original features, and if it was installed better. The finishing details where it intersects with stuff like the original trim on the window are just not done as nicely as I feel like they could be. I do feel like it's something I can work with if I figure out how to deal with the fireplace issue, although I would like to know what's behind there. :)

(To be fair it is also suffering from the fact that they did a similar thing for the backsplash in the kitchen, but with slices of brick, and that is just AWFUL looking. The bricks they used have very little tonal variety so they're very Generic Red Brick, and again the finishing details are horrible - stuff like outlet plates not sitting properly because they just applied the brick around the existing boxes rather than building things out somehow so the plate would sit flush, that sort of thing. We're planning on redoing the kitchen as soon as finances allow, and I am going to be quite gleeful to see the brick go.)

I do like the colors of the stone - the paint colors I'm testing for the room are colors I got by using one of those paint company apps where you take a photo and then sample it for paint matches - the stone has a very nice range of neutrals so I think one could be a good backdrop for the refinished floor and a comfortable seating arrangement, and then carry into the adjoining dining room to help unify the spaces. Right now the dining room is a very deep red and it visually chops up the area and makes both rooms feel smaller, and they aren't huge rooms to begin with. Also, we want to do a gallery wall in the dining room with picture ledges so rotating artwork and kid's masterpieces can be displayed, and that seems to call for more of a neutral color so that the wall doesn't clash with any artwork that might end up there.

Still unsure about color for the fireplace woodwork, though - if I do build a 'frame' sort of arrangement would it work to paint it the same color as the trim in the room? (i.e. some shade of gloss white.) Or since it's a focal point would it be better to do something different? (I'm not sure if I can strip or remove the existing mantle - it looks kind of like it was there and they applied the stone around it, so getting it out might be tricky, and the house is old enough that I'm a little leery of what paint might be on the mantle if it has been in place for a while. There's some kind of test kit you can get for lead, right? Maybe I should do that.)
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @yoboseiyo - it doesn't need to supply heat as far as I've been able to tell so far. The room has two good sized radiators and they seem to do a nice job of keeping the temperature comfortable. (Haven't been in the house that long yet, but the weather is certainly testing the heating.) I like the log look but my concern there is with cleaning/dust. That's a lot of nooks and crannies for dust to settle in. (Dealing with allergies is so annoying. I keep seeing things and going 'that's awesome!' and then realizing that for it to work for us, someone would have to be cleaning it constantly, which is just not realistic.)
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    mmmm....

if you do thin enough cuts of the wood, and you're at all handy, you could encase it in clear resin, so that there's just the front face to dust or clean.
    and the sides would want to be enclosed in some kind of a mantle, obviously.
    KD thanked yoboseiyo
  • PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    10 years ago
    for now....keep it simple. SIMPLE IS HARD! Minimize detailing and carpentry functions, grouting, caulking, sawing, fitting, nailing etc.... If you want more finished look then you need to interview and hire a carpenter and wait until a "remodel strategy" is in place.

FOR NOW.... Easy enough to lay the right size stone (blue stone or other) over floor tile and mount a firebox to wall. Maybe create a shelf or brackets on wall and mount an item like this simple firebox from www.overstock.com to wall. keep it simple, keep it simple, keep it simple. Even the very simplest projects have a way of morphing into a BIG DEAL so, plan ahead as you are and edit, edit, edit until you have a "best solution" in place.

Oh sorry.....here is one of the etsy MANTLE sources I liked. You can find "salvage and reclaimed" wood items locally too, probably now days. Got to look and see what resources are in your area.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68704507/antique-reclaimed-4-side-hand-hewn-barn?ref=sr_gallery_39&ga_search_query=salvaged+wood+mantle&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
    KD thanked Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Your photo from above is kind of dark but, here is a quick sketch and you get the basic idea.... I like it ....it has a certain charm yet is old and new blend.
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @sieglerdesign - Oh, thanks, the image helps a lot. I just couldn't picture it for some reason. We have a place that's reclaimed wood/architectural details around here, so I'll check and see if they have anything suitable.

Looking at your mock up, I kind of feel like it's possible that it would look better without art over the mantle, if the fire insert is particularly eye-catching. It'd just be too much going on with the stone and everything else. I'll keep that possibility in mind. I don't have anything for that area yet, so it's no big deal. If I don't go art on the wall, I'm thinking a few pretty pieces just on the mantle itself. There are some local artists who do lovely work with art glass and ceramics and metals.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think you may be exactly right. My only thought that now takes simplified to more complex is this.....

What if you buy a firebox item that you can surface mount on the wall and you really like it! Then if you really like it permanently I wonder if the "blue stone" or other stone material should actually continue to right side wall and your new FAUX fireplace place window, mantle and hearth become an "asymmetrical composition". I could see a giant rustic pot by craftsman in this room. I will post "vignette" for you. Window trim and shutters could maybe go a color to relate to stone and not be white? What do you think?
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm willing to consider other colors for the shutters and trim. The only issue I can think of with that would be figuring out what color to use for trim in other areas of the room. There is a staircase and coat closet on the wall opposite the fireplace and those are currently either painted the trim color or a really awful orange-gold wood, which I was going to paint trim-white. I'll try to get some more photos of the rest of the room tomorrow. (I really don't want to leave that wood as it is, it's HORRIBLE.)
  • yvonnecmartin
    10 years ago
    You could also abandon the idea of a fake fireplace and embrace the stone wall. I picture painting the tile to blend in with the floor and putting your couch or loveseat on that wall. Even better if the couch has a skirt that goes to the floor. Then treat the "mantle" as a bookshelf.
    KD thanked yvonnecmartin
  • User
    10 years ago
    Gel fireplace or electric heater that looks like fireplace would look good.
    KD thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Here is "longer hearth" visual for you. I think the two (?) or main windows in the room could be their own shutter finish and matching trim. They could relate to stone and fireplace and not be the universal "trim color" throughout" but, I will wait for you to post more photos before getting totally behind this idea.. Meanwhile just wanting to explore "HORIZONTAL" emphasis in room by elongating the stone "hearth".
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @yvonnecmartin - That's how the previous owners had it, but using a large sectional, and at least with that layout it didn't give a nice feel to the room. Though to be fair it's entirely possible that the size of the sectional was a big contributor because it did seem just very large for the space.
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @groveraxle - What would you use for the hearth? Just frame it with wood and paint it?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Use materials around fire that do not support combustion.
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good point. One thing I haven't seen with a lot of the wall mount gel fuel fireplaces so far is something that has a nice glass cover in the front. I know that they need airflow, obviously, but with dogs and kids I'd prefer something that it was a little harder to get to the flame. I'm going to have to look at the available models. Something open from the side would better I think.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    PirateFoxy the one I posted has glass in front but, is open on sides. My only reservation about "gel fires" would be the length of time for a fire is not very long?
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    if you do a raised hearth, you could frame it in wood, and face it in ply, but you'll want to put either some kind of porcelain tile, or some kind of solid surface material like a stone on it, so that it's fire-rated.
    KD thanked yoboseiyo
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @sieglerdesign - I think you usually get 1-2 hours? I need to look into them a little more. I'm not fond of the look of electric fires. I would be willing to consider putting some kind of artwork or something there in lieu of a fireplace, I suppose. I also have some creative friends so one of them might be able to make me a fire box unit that's ideally sized for the space with the coverage I want in front. (I mean, I know it'll still be an open flame and we have to be careful, but with the styles that are very open in front I just picture a curious dog or kid getting in there before anyone has a chance to intervene because it's so easy to access.)
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @yoboseiyo - I could use some stone or stone-look tiles, I can see that working. Or maybe slate if I want a color contrast? Slate still has a nice rugged look to it that might work with the shape and finish of the stones in the wall.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    slate would work well. the stone look tiles are usually square or rectangle, so a natural stone in a rough shape would be nice.
    KD thanked yoboseiyo
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Isn't there a fireplace opening behind that stone. Looks like it? Use a power hammer you can rent at Lowes or Home Depot. Take stone out. Tile on hearth. Remove put in hard wood and sand re stain all the floors to match. You said that floors would need some work. This is all DIY stuff. Having a real firepl. Is added value to your home price. Might be worth the time to do it. Also after opening it. Dry wall the whole wall. . Just buy a faux firepl front. Go on line. Then paint the wall. Can those bookcases on side go? I would update that whole wall.
    KD thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just wanted to say that I have not forgotten this, I'm just busy and I want to clear up the room a bit before taking more photos so that you can actually see the room instead of the random piles of medical supplies, carpet removal junk, and shipping boxes. (Thank everything for mail order this year - or I would have no gifts and no holiday decorations at all!)

I am looking forward to more suggestions and advice. It's not a huge room but the whole house has a very nice feel to it, so I'm sure it can be quite a lovely space if handled well.
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @travisinteriors - it certainly looks like there SHOULD be a fireplace hiding back there. I just don't see how to remove the stone to get at it without removing the entire wall of stone and that seems likely to be quite a big job - I can't imagine being able to get it off without damage to the wall beneath, which would then need to be repaired. I don't want to just layer on top because the window on that wall still has nice trim that matches other trim in the room and elsewhere in the house, but it's practically buried already by the depth of the stone.

I do hope to properly remove the stone and open up the fireplace at some point in the future, I just don't want to take that on right now.
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, the bookcase could go in theory. In practice it looks like it was there before the stone was applied so I think at least the side against the stone wall would need to stay or there would be a weird stone-free strip on that side of the wall.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Yeah I see the problem. Don't you just want to know why someone would cover over a fireplace. I'm sure they put plywood over fire opening then put stone over it?? But, would not know u less you take a very big hammer to it. If it was me, I would be hitting it right now. Not saying you should. Love the trim in room very nice. Just stay true to style of home. It will come together. At lest you have great floors.
    KD thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    I would go with grover's idea to protect the tile better. Or just seal and paint the tile if it's a short term solution. Love siegler's décor.
    KD thanked brickln
  • carole
    10 years ago
    from my expierence...once you live in the house those big jobs will never be done,because of all the dust and upheavel,but that is too late now,i understand you have moved in so i would put this(photo) in place of the bookshelfs and drywall around the window...
    KD thanked carole
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @travisinteriors - The temptation is there. I'm just trying to be realistic about the order in which things get done so I don't end up stuck with a mess that I can't clean up and can't afford to hire a pro to take care of right away. :) Maybe one of my geek friends has something where we could drill just a small hole and poke a camera through... (If anyone does, I will share photos if there's anything interesting.)

I'm so happy with the floor. We bought it with the dining room floor exposed but carpet in the living room (where the fireplace is) and had no idea what kind of condition it was going to be in. There is some work needed in places - it looks like a large mat was screwed down in front of the front door, for example - but I think a good refinishing company should be able to fix it up. (I'm not worried about it looking like a brand new floor, I just want it to be a cared for and properly sealed old floor. So repair work needs to be done well, it doesn't need to be impossible to tell that a repair was made. The floor has history!)
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    While waiting for photos, if anyone has thoughts on a good neutral paint color that would work with the stone, I'm game. I have some samples here but nothing is really looking Wow in the room and the more time I spend in the space, the more I dislike the color the walls currently are, which gives a green tinge that I find unpleasant.

The attached photo is the kind of look I have in mind, although obviously not quite that modern since there's the trim and wall to deal with. But brown leather furniture (practical choice) with accents of warm fall colors but the walls themselves fairly neutral. The room gets somewhat odd light - the window on the wall with the fireplace faces south, so that gets plenty of light, but the other window and the door (glass) face out east onto a covered porch, so they don't get a huge amount of natural light. One of the problems I'm having is that colors seem to feel darker than they are when on the walls. (We will be improving the lighting, but I'd rather not need tons of light all the time to keep the room from being a completely gloomy cave.)

(Room is coming along for photos - my mom moved in to the den unexpectedly due to an accident, since there's a bathroom with shower right off the den, so in addition to the carpet removal stuff there's a wheelchair, a walker, and a partridge in a pear tree's worth of boxes of random medical stuff completely obscuring actually being able to properly see the room.)
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 years ago
    Take the mantel off and lean a huge mirror until you can get the fireplace ,good luck
    KD thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Sorry about your mom! Hope she gets better soon.
    I would paint the walls oatmeal or a milky color if you want something a little lighter. If you could move the shelving to the opposite side of the fireplace, that would break up the stone appearance and add some symmetry.
    The mantel could be painted a darker color if you can't change it right away. I'd go with the gel unit for now; get a custom radiator cover if you can spring for it.
    Love your inspiration room!
    KD thanked brickln
  • User
    10 years ago
    Yes, oatmeal, milk and a honey colour and use it for a breakfast room. With a fire it should be toasty. Coffee coloured rug.
    KD thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    Oh now I've got egg all over my face.
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can I have a milky tea rug instead? I don't like coffee. :)
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Yes, and throw some strawberry jam pillows on your chocolate sofa, too. :)
    KD thanked brickln
  • User
    10 years ago
    Yes, sugar, honey.
    KD thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    Too much of the above and there'll be a muffin top.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    apparently we all want breakfast.
    *passes out hot scones with butter and jam cups*

also, i saw this pretty fireplace thing on pinterest this morning.
    http://www.cymax.com/holly-martin-topher-wall-mount-arch-fireplace-in-black-w-copper-distressing-37-237-058-4-01.htm?src=PLA&srcid=6458034&gclid=CILX2cnwubsCFfPm7Aod_0UAUw
    i know the front is open, but i just thought it was pretty.
    KD thanked yoboseiyo
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @yoboseiyo - That is pretty. I'm thinking maybe if I end up with a unit that isn't what I want in the front, I might have to see if I can come up with something to use as a screen or otherwise fence the dog and kid away from the fire a little without looking big and clunky.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    10 years ago
    Ask a brick and stone mason to take a closer look at the situation. There may be an underlying reason the hearth was closed such as the original masonry disintegrating and the previous owner not being able to afford proper repairs to keep a wood burning fireplace. Possibly it never drew right or leaked so much air it was closed to make the room habitable. Additionally they are often called upon to install those stone or brick slabs and will know how to remove them with the least damage. You can often learn a lot by asking the right questions when getting a free estimate from a professional.
    KD thanked Jessica Kerry Mack
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    mmm, yeah a screen of some kind would be good.

i wonder if you could make a small one with metal filigree from lowe's or home depot.
    i have no idea if that stuff is fireproof though.
    KD thanked yoboseiyo
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @yoboseiyo - I was thinking maybe plain framed hinged glass so the visual impact isn't terribly significant. Or else get one of my artsy friends to do something - there's stained glass transoms above the door and one window in the living room, so I'm picturing maybe a metal screen with cut outs that mimic the stained glass pattern?
  • PRO
    Marble Systems
    10 years ago
    It actually looks like there was perhaps a wood burning stove on the hearth - i had a similar set up in my house in Boston - did you see if there was a flue that they covered up ?
    KD thanked Marble Systems
  • cathyjoco
    10 years ago
    Hi - I wanted to show you this picture of a rock wall fireplace that have mantel. I am not sure how handy you are, but you could also frame the upper portion and drywall it. I am pretty handy and I covered mine with drywall. I think I would remove the bookcase from the left wall and put the bookcase next to the fireplace - to get it a little more balance.
    KD thanked cathyjoco
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    10 years ago
    For protection you might want to get an English style club fender. I found this one at http://www.clubfender.com/hengrave_brass_fireplace_seating.asp?fendID=3
    KD thanked Jessica Kerry Mack
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.