susanorting

Vinyl used for fireplace mantel and came up all bubbly in a week

susanorting
10 years ago
My contractor put vinyl flooring material on my fireplace mantel. It has numerous bubbles in it now and coming up on several pages on the edge. Due to heat, I wouldn't think vinyl flooring was supposed to be used. Can you provide some information on this?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would think the heat is causing the vinyl and adhesive to expand at a much greater rate than the wood. Since the vinyl is inset between molding edges, the only way to expand is up.

If you want to keep the vinyl, then I suggest you ask the contractor to trim the outer edges of the vinyl away from the existing wood molding...an expansion joint concept. Then you can do a couple of things. 1. Fill the evenly cut joint with a translucent or clear caulk. 2. Place another shallow piece (1/8" - 1/4") of molding on top that spans the wood and vinyl allowing for expansion under the top molding requiring no joint caulk. This results in a lip on the top of the mantle.

If you want to replace the vinyl, then consider ceramic, stone or glass tile on 1/4" cement backer board with thinset which will not expand or contract.
  • susaninsherman
    10 years ago
    Wow...whose idea was it to do that? I am not sure that can be fixed, heat will be an issue. What about some bead board? Tile? Stone or granite squares? Good luck!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    And he calls himself a "contractor" Wow. Get in touch with a real contractor and I am sure he or she will be more than happy to correct the mess the amateur made
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    I would call this contractor back to redo the fireplace mantel with heat resistant tile, granite, etc. How did this pass inspection. If you have no recourse, I would do a review on his work
    on his web site. And I would report this to his licensing board. I would also report the inspector if one was involved. This isn't an oversight. He's cheaping out on you.

I
  • User
    10 years ago
    I'd go with Your Mantel Company's idea of using a wood shelf for the top and staining it. Much more cohesive than tile or stone.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.