phyllis_barnett

Exterior issues!

Phyllis Barnett
10 years ago
We had to take off a second floor deck and now we are left deciding what to do with the door that goes to nowhere. What can we do to fix that issue, and also make this house look nice? Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (21)

• megen20
    10 years ago
    Perhaps put a window instead of the door, I do not know where are your front door, if they are the small on the side really you should change ..
    Phyllis Barnett thanked megen20
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Is that the front of the house??? I think you need to rebuild the deck and make an entry if so. I would extend a narrow pergola across the front side, I think. It needs some bling. And, landscaping.
    Phyllis Barnett thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • PRO
    mayflower
    10 years ago
    Hi
  • Phyllis Barnett
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, the picture is of the front of the house and the main door is on the left side - you can see a bit of the deck for that door in the picture. Guess I should have said that!
  • Architectrunnerguy
    10 years ago
    I think all you need is to paint the gutter and downspout grey.
    Phyllis Barnett thanked Architectrunnerguy
  • PRO
    mayflower
    10 years ago
    Give the walls a mural
    Phyllis Barnett thanked mayflower
  • PRO
    mayflower
    10 years ago
    It will look nice maybe paint a field of flowers or give the walls a pattern of stripes or something like that find different ways to spiff it up
  • PRO
    mayflower
    10 years ago
    In the yard it'll add some color and natural beauty to the yard
  • Phyllis Barnett
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was also thinking of planting something in front of the wider wall spaces.
  • PRO
    mayflower
    10 years ago
    Yes like a garden
  • PRO
    mayflower
    10 years ago
    And some bird houses to
  • PRO
    home design california
    10 years ago
    Definitely needs a window, where the door used to be; to have horizontal millions to match the existing windows. The colors on the house are nice, but it needs something to liven up the entire look- and I would agree with plants, flowers, nice landscape to complement and soften somewhat the rectangular geometry
    Phyllis Barnett thanked home design california
  • Phyllis Barnett
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great ideas! Thanks.
  • PRO
    Cassas bros construction
    10 years ago
    You need to install a matching window with some shutters this way it would give you some more cure appeal .
    Phyllis Barnett thanked Cassas bros construction
  • PRO
    Ridgewood Renovations
    10 years ago
    Build a small juliet style balcony, to give some interest to the front of the house, preferably with some plants. Replace the door with a prettier glass door, to access the balcony.
    Phyllis Barnett thanked Ridgewood Renovations
  • PRO
    mayflower
    10 years ago
    I really think the door on the wall of the second floor is a saftey hazard
  • bgfuqua
    10 years ago
    I like several of these ideas - first order of business should be that door. either nice looking door with balcony, replace the deck there, or put a window there. mayflower is right.
  • PRO
    mayflower
    10 years ago
    Maybe you should add some wood stairs to that weird door, so that you can "snazz" up the place
  • nighthack95
    10 years ago
    You have 10 windows and a door with 3 different styles of window.

1. Change door to window and have all windows in top match
    in style.

2. Build a pergola with the top going between to two floors. This will break up the expanse and de-emphasize the different style windows.

http://houzz.com/photos/4483501
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    @nighthack95 - very nice solution!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.