sjjanis

White or light gray grout for carrera marble tile floor?

Debating between three grout colors for a new Carrera marble bathroom floor.
White Grout?
Light Gray Grout?
Gray?

Comments (20)

• libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    light gray - it may provide a little contrast but overall will match the most . .
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I agree. Light gray is my recommendation as well.
  • loispark
    10 years ago
    I have gray tile with gray grout. Everyone thinks it works well.
  • PRO
    David J. Design Inc.
    10 years ago
    I have actually done a medium blue/grey which was the same as the darker veins in the marble. The look was great and a little more dramatic than the light grey. It was also easier to keep clean.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    heated floors underneath!
  • PeeJay
    10 years ago
    I try to NEVER use a light grout UNLESS tile is being placed in a very low traffic area. I think marble looks BEST with very small space between the tiles. The darker color will enhance the design in your tile.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    I agree white grout is a pain to look after and usually over time yellows so I vote for light gray.
  • Sheilag
    9 years ago
    Whisper gray grout from The Tile Shop ( Edison, NJ) is what this display shows with carerra marble.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    I agree, you should consider maintenance. White grout looks great in low traffic area. However, for a floor the darker grout might be the better option. It will be easy to clean and maintain. The white or light grey will darken with wear anyways.
  • resident
    9 years ago
    LOL! I had to take a look at mine; realizing that I hadn't noticed it. But, that's the point hey!?
    Light grey.
  • PRO
    Grout Works of Central NJ
    9 years ago
    I also found platinum grout to match nicely. However some carrara ' s are different shades and some are lighter. Usually white is too light but a silver color can look nice. When we color seal grout I customize the exact shade of white/grey to match and it cleans better than non color sealed darker grout.
  • PRO
    Total Home Improvement
    8 years ago

We always recommend darker grey with the Carrara, accentuating the darker veins - maintenance is much easier for the clients too.

• fedgery007
    8 years ago

Whatever you do, don't use light grout on the floor! It was ALWAYS look dirty! I have a friend who made this same mistake. Looks gorgeous once it's first installed. But the grout will eventually turn brownish/yellow. Go darker!

• Kim Mclain
    6 years ago
    Help!! What color grout should I use for white marble backsplash? The laundry room has gray, some blue and yellow
  • Estella H
    5 years ago

i recommend a contrasting color for your mosaic tile to highlight the shape. if you went with white you wouldn't see much of the shape and it would blend into the wall. A light gray would highlight it really nicely I think, and you mentioned you will have other grays in your room too.

• mactheknife9
    5 years ago

I'm having the same problem Dorian gray or platinum?

• that_tile_girl
    5 years ago

Definitely stay with a lighter color for marble. I hear it quite often, dark grout can sometimes seep into the sides of a light marble and stain it, causing it to look dingy overall. My vote is white, it will keep the marble looking pristine and will darken a bit over time, matching the look of natural carrara quite well. White grout is a risk in bathrooms though, as everyone mentions. Use a non-sanded grout to protect both the marble and the grout from discoloring too much. The light gray is also a fine choice, but keep in mind that it will darken and maybe not match the tile color quite as well over time. Make sure to seal the tile once a year, especially on a bathroom floor, and seal the grout once every 10 years - people tend to forget that one!

• paulacalvert
    4 years ago

definitely a light gray. I made the mistake of choosing white for my Carrera tile floor in the bathroom and it's mostly beige/dirty looking because dirt collects and really shows! in the grout floor. even after mopping, it never looks truly white as when originally installed.

• Connie Bundy
    2 years ago

I have used white twice, and regretted it twice. It just doesn't stay that beautiful white, and takes a LOT of effort to keep it looking reasonably decent. Use a light gray color and save some headaches. Unless you have daily housekeeping staff.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.