kathy_fulton

What to do with kitchen

Kathy Fulton
10 years ago
Help with kitchen

Comments (40)

• kmbarrack
    10 years ago
    You already have beautiful counters I would suggest adding a nice backsplash and consider new cabinet doors as they look dated or perhaps just adding hard ware on the cabinets.
  • Sheri
    10 years ago
    I think it's a nice looking kitchen. I agree with the previous poster that a backsplash and some nice hardware would add some pizazz.
  • alicejean
    10 years ago
    I guess I don't see any problem other than the sponge sitting out. What is it you want to achieve? I would put hardware on the cabinetry.
  • Kathy Fulton
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm a white kitchen lover and no granite
  • PRO
    Delton Cabinets
    10 years ago
    Consider adding some cabinet pulls, a backsplash and crown moulding. Another way to make some visual impact would be to do something on the front of your stub wall on your island. Finished panels, tile or even splash of bold colored paint would make all the difference!
  • decorgirly
    10 years ago
    agree, a backsplash would liven it up
  • lopay
    10 years ago
    You could paint the wall above the fridge a differnet color to break things up.
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    I would suggest you add fancy moulding to the top of the cabinets to dress them up (in the same color, of course). Also hardware and larger pieces of decoration on the top.
  • Jennifer Owen
    10 years ago
    A rich backsplash would look beautiful in this space. Take a look at the Fasade decorative thermoplastic tiles. The Traditional 10 style in Oil Rubbed Bronze would look great!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    If your budget is small, adding a backsplash , great cabinet pulls and repainting would help to jazz the place up. Hang some great light pendants over your island.Depending on your budget, I suggest also changing the cabinet doors and adding cabinet panels to the stub wall
  • PRO
    Marcia Makoviecki, Assoc Broker, Coldwell Banker
    10 years ago
    A builder's basic kitchen always lacks color and interest.....everything is brown. I'd change out the island and make it larger and all one level (the multi level is so 1980s). Maybe make the island a different color... either the cabinets or the countertop. Then do an interesting, more modern light above it, maybe with interesting fabric drum shades to give the kitchen some life. Def needs a backsplash. Because the cabinets are short, I wouldn't put anything small on top of them....makes them looks even shorter.
    Kathy Fulton thanked Marcia Makoviecki, Assoc Broker, Coldwell Banker
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    10 years ago
    There is a new product called versa-thin. It's a stone/marble veneer that goes over your existing counters. No mess, quick fix. Add repainting the cabinets white and adding a subway tile backsplash and you got a complete kitchen makeover.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    I think if you don't want granite I would be with you all the way, i think it is everywhere even the cheapest houses. There are some interesting choices from a company called Abet Laminati it is a laminate counter that is not like anything you have seen before. Check out the Stratificato line, hundreds of colors with aluminum layers, cuts like wood , easy to install I put it in a clients house and now am ordering it for mine. You can even have custom art work put into top layer.
  • shars55
    10 years ago
    I think you have to do what YOU like in your house. You live In It, and there will always someone who isn't going to like one thing or another about it. I do think adding a backsplash and some nice hardware on the cabinets would look nice.
  • Raquel Dillett
    10 years ago
    I think your kitchen is lovely! For a nice change you could add hardware and backsplash. Like the words above the refrigerator--it's obviously how you feel, so keep it!
  • PRO
    Karen Dorris, interior Designs
    10 years ago
    Add hardware, backsplash and paint a different colour. The walls are too close to the granite colour. Too much of the same thing. Consider BM OC28. What do you think? I could recommend a splash but not sure what your aesthetic is from the picture. The kitchen is transitional so you can emphasize contemporary or traditional with hardware and splash.
  • zannej
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    That is a very nice kitchen. I wish my kitchen was that nice.

Other than aesthetics, what do you DISLIKE about the kitchen? Is it the layout? The functionality? Is there something other than looks that is bothering you?

What type of countertops do you like?

Honestly, if it is functioning well and it is just aesthetics, I would save the money and would not try to get new cabinets or countertops. If you do decide to get rid of any of the cabinets and countertops, I suggest trying to keep them all intact so you can donate them to Habitat For Humanity and get a tax credit.

If you only want to make minor changes, perhaps (as others have already said) a backsplash.

A lot of people go with subway tile. You might want to consider a white tile pattern where the tiles are turned to form a diamond pattern. Or you might try moroccan tile.
    Kitchen Backsplash Feature - North Vancouver · More Info

SomerTile 12.5x12.5-in Morocco Glossy White Porcelain Mosaic Tile (Pack of 10) · More Info
  • Barbara Schneider
    10 years ago
    Would you consider some glass front doors? Also adding some texture in backsplash, pulls, pendant lights and paint. Granite is fine.
  • zannej
    10 years ago
    When I asked what you dislike about the kitchen, I forgot to ask if there is anything that you DO like about it. Finding out what works for you and what doesn't will help in figuring out your style and tastes.
  • srcontructionllc
    10 years ago
    "Botox" Fix: Add hardware, backsplash
    "Facelift" Renovation: New cabinets, white/light color, some with glass panels and take out drywall above refrigerator to extend cabinet height all around kitchen. Looks like your ceilings are pretty tall above microwave wall so you want to enhance that, maybe even add another row of cabinets above. Finish with crown molding/undercabinet lighting. I agree with the island change, make it a one height bar top, also makes the space feel much more open. You could also extend the island depending on what is adjoining (can't see from pictures that are posted). Light colored countertops: marble/quartzite/light granite could all work. Still of course add the backsplash/hardware. I think simpler is better. Marble subway tiles are good, playing with installation patterns for effect are a good way of making a statement without being too "trendy". Change flooring: wood or a wood tile are good option.
    All depends on your price point/needs.
    Kathy Fulton thanked srcontructionllc
  • qofmiwok
    10 years ago
    I disagree that the two height island is 1980's. I love the bar being higher so it blocks the view of the mess after cooking. I would make it deeper though so there are room for bar stools. That's where guests always want to hang while your preparing dinner.
  • PRO
    Marcia Makoviecki, Assoc Broker, Coldwell Banker
    10 years ago
    Hi qofmlwok...well it looks like the two-height island only has a difference of about 2 or 3 inches between the two 'heights.' That's not really going to block anyone's view of any kitchen mess. But deeper would certainly be an improvement. Also, the veneer side of the cabinets are not so nice to look at on the island either. It would just feel much more substantial as a nice, wide, all-one-level island with pretty finishes on all sides.
  • zannej
    10 years ago
    I forgot to mention that I agree with the idea of adding either more cabinets (small ones) on top of the ones already there, or maybe even shelves of some sort. More storage is good.

I see that it isn't the island itself that has the higher shelf-- but a half-wall type thing. I think it looks ok, but what is important is how Kathy feels about it. If it is a feature she likes then she should keep it, but if she finds it awkward or problematic then she might want to make some changes.

If she wants white cabinets and doesn't want to spend too much money, it is possible to paint the cabinets (although I personally don't like the idea of painting over things with that color). Just give them a light sanding with fine grit sandpaper and find a test area (maybe a spot that will be hidden against a wall or next to the fridge and try spraying it with gloss or semi-gloss white spray paint. See how well it takes and how many coats it will take to get the desired finish. Primer may be needed. Without sanding the paint may have a hard time adhering.
    Kathy Fulton thanked zannej
  • PRO
    FK Interior Design
    10 years ago
    It all depends on your budget, do you have one?
  • sari12
    10 years ago
    A coat of paint on the cupboards would do wonders and won't break the bank account.
  • lajazz
    10 years ago
    This kitchen is exactly like my old kitchen in Phoenix minus the area above the fridge (it was open like the other side). With regard to the two island heights; when I remodeled I made it level and added armless stools in front of it. This definitely opened it up to the family room and added additional needed counter space for food prep. I do agree with the other comments, a simple backsplash would add color, interest and function to the space. If you love the cabinet colors leave them as is and add beautiful finish trim above. The devil is in the details!
  • PRO
    Vitroceram Inc.
    10 years ago
    your kitchen looks great! may we suggest adding glass tiles for your backsplash to accent your gorgeous counter top. Please feel free to view our site for countless ideas.. have a great day :)
  • lazyfaith
    10 years ago
    I think if you painted the cabinets white and a beautiful copper back splash
  • PRO
    Mineral Tiles
    10 years ago
    Your kitchen is great! But if you want to jazz it up maybe a backsplash would be a nice touch. A backsplash covered by a glass mosaic tile, or stainless steel tile, to coordinate with your appliances, would give a lot of character to your kitchen. Feel free to explore our products and ask us any questions: http://www.mineraltiles.com/kitchen-backsplash
  • zannej
    10 years ago
    When considering a backsplash, I highly recommend getting some sample pieces and bringing them home to see how they actually look in the room. Research your options and find out how the materials hold up. Copper can start to turn green if not properly sealed. In areas where there might be splatter you'll want something that is easy to clean. Certain types of stone contain iron and can start to rust (even marble sometimes has iron in it) unless it is sealed. Some materials require more maintenance and need to be resealed every so often. Price and ease of installation are also important factors.

Undercabinet lighting is a nice suggestion I saw earlier. Its a feature I wish I had in my home.
  • PRO
    Maryland Kitchen Cabinets
    10 years ago
    What do you love about your kitchen and your space? What is the 1 thing that drives you crazy about your current kitchen/space? You have a pretty nice kitchen.

From an aesthetic stand point the one thing that stands out to us you have very high ceilings and the wall cabinets where the range is leaves a relatively mundane horizontal run of cabinetry... the cutout to upper left wall where you have the lettering provides a natural stairstep to the eye...

Simple approach would be to add some crown molding only to the non-recessed wall cabinets... Also since you have a relatively symmetrical layout we would do a stack mold with a large crown basically a 3"-6" flat stock molding with a 3 1/2"-4" crown molding (so somewhere total between 6 1/2" - 10" of top cap)... to achieve the stair step approach... have a break where the range/microwave wall cabinet without a stack molding here... so left and right of the range/microwave wall cabinet would be higher with stack and crown and range/microwave cabinet would only be crown 3 1/2"-4"... this will give a high end furniture look...

Furthermore, maybe do an accent stain such as an espresso for the for the crown and stack molding...

Also maybe door panels for the cabinets sides... vertical and horizontal pulls for cabinet doors and drawer... antique bronze will accent well... wouldn't go with knobs only pulls because of ceiling height...
  • zannej
    10 years ago
    Maryland Kitchen Cabinets, do you have any pictures of the type of molding you are describing? Showing some examples could help with visualizing what you are describing.
  • PRO
    Maryland Kitchen Cabinets
    10 years ago
    Here is a link to some molding ideas from our site: http://marylandkitchencabinets.com/category/kitchen-cabinets/semi-custom-cabinets/molding-trim-semi-custom-cabinets ... and attached samples from the web
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Hardware, lighting, rugs.... larger items over the stove and microwave in the open soffit.
  • zannej
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the pictures, Maryland Kitchen Cabinets. That is very nice molding. I also like how there is a decorative piece with a light above the window.
    I have this in my kitchen (although I used a horrible camera to take the picture so the color is washed out)
    Kitchen Ideas · More Info

As you can see, molding would probably improve the appearance. The missing ceiling tile is an eyesore-- the tenants did that and we never got around to fixing it because we were busy trying to fix the more serious damage they did.
    A better photo of other cabinets in my kitchen that show the color better:

The range hood is on ceiling mount cabinets but there is a piece of oak behind the stove that goes all the way to the floor. A fake tile panel backsplash was put behind the shelves. Another poor quality photo:

I wish I had a photo of the backside because it is very pretty solid oak, but there is a curio cabinet up against it.
  • PRO
    Combs Roofing & Design
    10 years ago
    The honey color in the cabinets and paint color are too similar, do not showcase or hi light either. Depending on your budget, the sky is the limit. #1 - CHANGE the paint color! You want the materials you spend your $ on to shine and be noticed. #2 - bring light inside! Insert glass for a modern clean look. Make the lower cabinetry a different color or shade than uppers. If you want the countertops to be noticed, go with DARKER underneath colored cabinets.... The lighter countertops will be showcased. The upper cabinets need to be lighter, but that does not mean white. Choose lightest color from counter tops. Tie it all in with a backsplash that is the SHOW STOPPER, most importantly BLENDS the colors seamlessly
  • Kathleen Marineau
    10 years ago
    I agree with most, need some color. In my budget it'd be bright warm color paint to liven the back splash and under the bar. I'd use semi-gloss, at least 2 coats for scrubability. Plants in bright pots on top of the cabinets would bring "life" to the area. Sanservia for height, or some dracenas. They won't droop in front of the doors and are pretty tough. If you can afford new lighting, it'd be a big help. In the recess with the script, pick up some bright teapots or odd serving bowls at a second hand store, even a clear glass one with colorful aquarium rocks would brighten the area without hiding the words.
  • Christalyn
    10 years ago
    Your kitchen looks pretty up to date. I wouldn't do anything. Remodeling a kitchen is like buying a cell phone. If you have an I-phone 4s that works for you don't buy a 5 or 5s, wait until the 6 or 7 to come out. Hopefully by then the advances are noticeable enough. You never know, they may come up with a food replicator and having a kitchen my be obsolete.
  • 7 & Done
    10 years ago
    This kitchen looks like it is in great shape. Colors all blend right now. I would first paint the walls. A soft grey/blue, like Ben Moore, Wickham Gray, HC 171. It will only enhance your SS appliances. Then some brushed nickel hardware on the cabinets. Tiling the backsplash would be nice if you can but I also think if you took those letter words and painted them black it would make them pop. I would also put some soft looking artificial plants up on any ledges. Good luck!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.